1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News #FitchTheHomeless

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by theMaverick, May 15, 2013.

1. theMaverick

2. animequeen567

I was thinking of doing this too! Only problem is that I'm too fat to go into the store. They'd probably kick me out for not being "cool enough". Plus I'm too bored to buy their clothes. Maybe some day I'll buy them and give them to the homeless.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The funny thing is that before this all of this started, I took a lot of my A&F clothes and donated them to the homeless. It seems pretty funny now knowing all of this is going on.

I'm glad that I don't wear their stuff anymore.

4. Ridiculous

DO IT AMERICANSs

5. Tim

Tim

Even though I understand the sentiment behind it and I like the fact it gets homeless more clothes, someone else summed up why it's not really a good thing.

6. photoguy93

I have to agree. It's also saying that you're more likely to go out and buy this expensive piece of clothing and give it away instead of giving it to a homeless shelter or something. Or, if you already own the piece, it's still not letting you actually make a difference.

I don't know. I think this is a nice thing, but I just don't like the craze it's becoming.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's demeaning to the homeless I think. They are saying "look, the shittiest people we can dredge up will now be wearing A&F stuff! Suck it CEO!!!" Not that most homeless are very dignified individuals who would turn down free stuff, but if I were on the street and knew what their game was, I'd be insulted.

8. Mogget

Yeah, this is insulting on so many levels to the wrong people. If you want to attack A&F, don't buy their stuff and glare at people who do.

9. Ridiculous

I can see why you might be seeing some sort of inconsideration in this but really, it's as simple as
    -douchebag says offensive stuff and would rather burn merchandise than donate it
    -donate their stuff yourself
    -douchebag's awful practices are highlighted
    -less fortunate people get the clothing they miss out on

I'm only seeing positive results. Disliking it does seem a little like being offended for the sake of being offended.

They didn't search for the shittiest group of people - it's the group of people that would be donated to if A&F didn't destroy their unwanted products.

10. catatonie

ok but A&F isn't the only company that destroys unwanted merchandise, and no one is putting any research in to this as a humanitarian cause, it's still using the homeless, people they wouldn't look sideways at otherwise, to make a statement. it won't benefit them any more than if you were donating your wal*mart brand clothing so let's not pretend out of place people actually give a shit about this cute little protest lol. of course the homeless are used time and time again as a political platform and rarely see the gains of it so it's nothing new. by all means people should do it if they want but don't confuse apples and oranges, real poverty & homeless issues and some corporation with morals that upset some people are in completely different ballparks, this is a "remedy" to one of those things, not the other.

11. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    exactly, this is classist as hell & just uses the homeless as a tool for their shitty politics

12. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people argue against this dude's actions, but I think it's funny and generous of him.
    My support to him. <3

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's genius. There are no victims; the homeless people end up wearing nice clothes they otherwise could not afford, Abercrombie gets its precious branding tarnished, and the board of Abercrombie gets a strong message that its CEO is a total piece of shit.

14. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

No real victims here that I can see, mostly just positive results.

15. seriously this.
    don't use people who are already dismissed, shut down, and forcibly shut up in getting back at that asshole because he's a jerk. it's once again treating homeless people like they aren't people and just happen to be useful as a means right now.

just don't give Jeffries and his shitty company any money.

16. Emberstone

I was so sad no one thought to upload the clip from Daria where the fashion club goes out and dose a clothing drive for the homeless, but are determined not to let them wear anything that went out of style: "Haven't the homeless suffered enough?"