1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Florida Teen Fighting Criminal Charges for Same-Sex Relationship

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pret Allez, May 18, 2013.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Florida teen fighting criminal charges related to same-sex relationship – LGBTQ Nation

This in my opinion is a classic example of abuse of the legal system, why our consent laws are extremely problematic, and how we need to review what constitutes a sexual offense in general.

I really just want to hurt people right now... Also, I'm anticipating some pretty troll and inane comments about consent law, so I guess I should prepare myself for that. I just ask that you read the article first... A lot of the commenters appeared not to have done so, and wrote this off as "simple statutory rape."

2. Candace

I wish I had not eaten anything before I read this. How STUPID ARE THESE PEOPLE!? GAHHH! Her girlfriend DID NOT MAKE her gay, just like she didn't make her white!!! The common sense of these people is just not there, isn't it? -_-

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For y'all's benefit:

4. LailaForbidden

But...but they've destroyed this poor girl's life over something so trivial...

5. Goodnyte

Wow....That was the first thought through my mind. They were consenting. Granted, hunt is 18, however, again: They were consenting! They are so stupid. It is sad that a 18 year old girl has to go through this, all because she is dating another girl and they participated in sexual activity. The 15 year old knew what she was doing along with Hunt. They are big girls.

Imbeciles.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, but here's the good part. It started with them being 15 and 17. But it wasn't a problem then. Just at 16 and 18 apparently. Plus or minus how ever many days...

So apparently we've decided it's okay to abuse the legal system over "derp, how does a calendar werk?"

7. Ticklish Fish

but if this lawsuit files, her life will be ruined with this record :frowning2:

8. Cthulhu

9. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

*Bigger Sigh*

10. I've said this once I will say it again
    we need to Reform Sex offender laws
    But with that said this is something Pretty trivial and up to debate I can understand how Older teenagers being with younger teenagers can be a big nono but going this far definatley not.
    Despite the mother's opinion I don't see how this has anything to do with her being gay.

#10 TheLovelyAudrey, May 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2013
  11. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The age of consent in florida is 18. Granted imo that's too steep but it is the law there. The whole system of punishing teenagers for engaging in activity like that is hugely flawed but it won't change any time soon unfortunately.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For your benefit:

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to the arrest record, the younger person was 15; elsewhere in the article it says she was 17. That's a big difference. Granted, it's 3 years, but 3 years is a long time at that age.

I'm not saying the law is just or that the mother of the younger person isn't an idiot... but really, this is exactly why people should be careful about relationships involving any sort of age gap when one of them is a minor.

14. Emberstone

I bet the parents of the younger girl have a sex slave tied up in the basement.

people who cry loudest, sex weirdest.

15. josh9623

this is kinda scary considering that's just north of where i am. and in the article it makes it sound like the older girl was 18 and the younger girl was 15, in which case it is technically illegal. if i remember correctly if there is a "relationship" between a minor and non-minor the minor must be at least 16 and the non-minor younger than 24. but i cant verify that because the website that florida has all of their laws on won't load for some reason.

16. Doku

Out Status:
    Some people
    There's a petition for this: http://www.change.org/petitions/ind...n-18-year-old-girl-in-a-same-sex-relationship

You are indeed correct on the matter. You can in fact date someone of 16 so long as you are under 24. But in this case, the girl was a minor as well when she and her girlfriend started dating. There is no actual indication that they had intercourse either. By law, technically, there shouldn't even be any charges at all.

I live in the same state and I'm in love with someone of 16 of age so this hit home- and pretty hard. (Just to clarify beforehand, I am indeed under the age of 24 but I'm not going to ask her out, officially, until another two more years. Playing it safe.)

#16 Doku, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  17. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    "Despite her mother's opinion" If the mother of the 15 year old has actually said that and there's proof, it would be a different story, but as far I we know she hasn't, so it's mere hearsay.

Consent laws are such a slippery slope nowadays. I'm not sure what Florida's laws are on discrimination against homosexuals and I'm not even sure if someone can claim a hate crime in this situation because parents don't need a reason to claim statutory rape, they just need proof that sexual intercourse occurred in a certain timeframe.(In this case, anywhere between Aug. 14, 2012 and Feb. 16, 2013.) In other words, during court, if the defense attorney asked the question "Were these charges brought upon you because you're gay?", the prosecutor would probably object to it by calling relevance stating "The fact that she is gay doesn't matter. The person in question is 18 and was involved sexually with a minor who is under the age of 16, the gender of the individuals are irrelevant." The judge would probably sustain to the objection.

If the prosecution's case is concrete and if the defense can't provide evidence that the complaint was issued because she's gay(again, I'm not sure if it would matter anyway), than her best bet is to take the deal. :\

Consent laws really do need to be revised, but for now this is the way it is. It's morally wrong, but legally right. That's law for you. :frowning2:

18. Tim

Tim

The article is misleading. She's not being prosecuted because she's a lesbian.

She's being prosecuted because she had sexual relations with someone who was 15 when she was 18.

Technically, what she did was illegal. Consent laws tend to only extend 2 years between ages.

Yes, the parents calling the police because they thought she "turned" their daughter gay is horrible. But what this girl did, who, being 18, should know the laws, is not legal. She should have waited until her girlfriend turned 16 to continue having relations, especially knowing her girlfriends parents were not happy.

19. rg93

Yes. And no. Look at the last paragraph. The one with the "Romeo and Juliet" law. This law basiy says that it's okay if it's a heterosexual couple, because there wasn't really any harm done. That is the real kick in the teeth. They're just high school kids, dating like any other. Just like you see in the movies. Let's be honest, a heterosexual consenting high school couple is definitely (in most cases) not considered a sex offence. And even if one of the parents of such heterosexual couple did make a fuss - never mind, there's a law that actually helps the couple. If this girl petitions the "Romeo and Juliet" law and is denied, that would be a major kick in the teeth and discrimination of the highest order.
    And besides: the defendant was 17 when they started dating. It wouldn't surprise me if the parents waited until the girl was 18 to directly "attack" her with this. This is serious stuff, it could actually ruin her life just because she had a relationship with someone in which she became 18 first.

20. fairlyfey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know, if you actually look into it several states in the US have different ages of consent depending on whether or not it's a same-sex act or opposite sex act. Also the police are far more likely to enforce these laws against LGBT and label us as pedophiles. You know all those sodomy laws that were struck down in 2003? Well technically sodomy is anything besides vaginal sex between a man and a woman, but sodomy laws were never enforced against heterosexuals.

It's outrageous whenever you hear about, say a 20 year old getting in trouble for dating a 16 year old. A 16 year old absolutely is engaging in consensual behavior; they know exactly what they're doing. Labeling someone who is barely older a pedophile ruins that person's life and is a gross distortion of the facts. Not to mention that straight people get away with it a lot more because of bigoted cops.