1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dublin Boy, May 20, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [​IMG]

A gay couple who were walking through a park in south London during the early hours of this morning have been viciously assaulted by a gang of men with one of the attackers saying “stay down faggot.”

The incident happened on Sunday 19 May at around 12:30am.

Christopher Bryant, 42, and his partner Damon Truluck, 38, were walking home across Betts Park in Penge, in the London Borough of Bromley, when six men approached them.

Speaking to PinkNews.co.uk on Sunday afternoon, Mr Bryant said: “We saw them too late to get away. We ran, and I was getting away, but they caught Damon, my partner, and so I doubled back. I tried to get them off him, and that’s when they thumped me to the ground.

“When I looked up to see if he was ok one of them kicked me in the face, and said ‘stay down faggot’. Every time I looked up to see what was happening to Damon they either thumped or kicked me, and said ‘don’t try anything’. They went through my pockets and took my wallet and phone. But they kept hitting. Before they ran off they pushed us together and told us to stay still for 5 minutes or they’d kill us.”

The assault took place just hours after Mr Bryant celebrated his 42nd birthday. He suffered multiple injuries to his face.

Mr Truluck suffered injuries to his back and hip – and is currently finding it difficult to walk.

The couple have now been released from hospital.

Mr Bryant is originally from Cornwall and Mr Truluck from Essex.

The Metropolitan Police Service say they are investigating the incident and have told PinkNews.co.uk that so far no arrests have been made.

Before the attack, both men were raising awareness of Friday’s International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia through online magazine Queer Online Magazine | LGBT+ Arts Culture and Community | Polari Magazine, of which Mr Bryant is the editor.

London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault - PinkNews.co.uk

2. Hefiel

There's definitively an increase in violence against LGBT. We're gradually acquiring equal rights worldwide, but we're facing against strong opposition that just keeps perpetuating the same bullshit over and over again, and it's encouraging civilians to discriminate against us more and more. At least our side is winning so far.

3. DelFelidae

With this shit that goes on... Honestly, it's what makes me hate people.:tears:

4. SilverGirl

shit like this always happens, not much to do besides wait to see if they can find who did this

but was this a homophobic attack or these guys were just looking for someone to rob and found bryant and his partner first?

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    F-ing cowards...

6. Beware Of You

I fear this is similar to France; with all the fuss in the media over gay marriage at the moment. Thankfully the UK has alot of legislation protecting LGBT people. When caught they will probably looking at a Custodial sentence for this (My Dad is a magistrate I asked him) as the attack is homophobic motivated.

7. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really sad this happened to these men, it must have been quite terrifying. However I live in south east London near Bromley and I would never be walking through a park at midnight! You are asking for trouble.

8. Rexmond

Let's hope the attackers are found.

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Would be nice if they got caught :slight_smile:

10. Spurned

Spurned Guest

Oh, England, what have you created?

11. Em1234

Em1234 Guest