1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Newborn baby rescued from sewer pipe

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by JPC, May 28, 2013.

1. JPC

JPC Guest

When I saw this story this morning, I was both furious and trying to hold back tears.

A newborn baby was rescued from a sewer pipe in China after his parents tried to flush him down the toilet. A resident of the same apartment building heard him in the pipe and alerted emergency services. It took firefighters an hour to rescue him. He's in a stable condition in hospital.

Here's a link to the story. I must warn in advance that the story and images may be quite upsetting.

Chinese baby is rescued ALIVE from toilet pipe after being flushed away by parents | Mail Online

2. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    ..God no...
    this cant be true..in what world we are living?
    People are always afraid with bullshits like the end of times,and the end of the world and that a comet will crush on us and destroy everything but..really sometimes..i think that it really SHOULD happen because this world is such a filthy place..seriously i cant believe that,these people have no souls at all..

3. Hiems

I cannot believe that anyone would do something like this. I hope justice is served and that the parents face harsh penalties for such an inhumane act.

4. Spurned

Spurned Guest

That baby could develop to have serious phobias when he's older, which is just wrong. Phobias of pipes, plumbing, small spaces, etc. Most phobias come from an ordeal of when you were younger, whether you remember it or not. *Shudders*

5. Candace

Someone needs to put those parents in time-out...FOREVER. Such horrible parents...and that's putting it mildly.:bang:

6. silkfrog1292

Human lives, even those of newborns are worth very little in China.

7. DelFelidae

Omfg! What the hell is wrong with people!

That poor baby.....:tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

8. JPC

JPC Guest

Update: Apparently the mother was a 22 year old woman who became pregnant after a one night stand and couldn't afford an abortion and couldn't face dealing with the stigma of being a single mother. She also claims it was an accident.

9. Spurned

Spurned Guest

I, what?! Okay I understand everything up until the last part, that's fine and understandable, but claiming it was an accident is just silly and will not help her in any way. *Keyboard smash* I just don't understand some people.

10. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Accident /eyeroll. She needs to be flushed down a toilet, in my opinion.

11. DelFelidae

How the hell is flushing a baby down the toilet an accident? Seriously? I'm drawing a blank! :eek:

12. JPC

JPC Guest

She claims to have given birth on the toilet and the baby slipped right down into the sewer pipe.

I'm not really sure that I buy that, but I think it's still being investigated.

13. Ridiculous

Toilet pipe installation must be very different in China, because there is no way a baby would fit through the pipe bends at the back of mine even if you were intentionally trying to push it through. So I wouldn't immediately rule an accident out, although it is suspicious...

14. JPC

JPC Guest

^^^ That's exactly what I thought, it's either a total lie or they just have very different plumbling there. I know in my apartment building, with the way the pipes run, it seems as if it would be completely impossible for something like that to happen.

15. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    All my 'WAT?'
    That is horrible for that poor child. Good thing he's all okay.

16. Noir

One of my friends told me today she saw this story in the news--I was hoping it wasn't true!! How horrible!!!!:eek:

17. Hexagon

At least the child is alive.

18. FruitFly

Squat toilets are designed very differently to the toilets you find in the majority of the Western world, and it is entirely feasible that had she given birth over a squat toilet the baby could have ended up down the pipe.

Desperate people do desperate things. It's horrible and awful, but the situation in China for young unwed (and actually uncoupled) women who are pregnant is not exactly amazing, this was obviously not a course of action that should be commended or wiped away due to those problems but I do understand why a woman who could not afford an abortion, hid her pregnancy, and was worried about the shame/consequences of having a child as a single woman, would panic when she actually did begin to give birth over a squat toilet (and again, a squat toilet in China is basically a wide hole in the ground which does not have the plumbing we associate with the toilets most of us are familiar with, and if she could not remove him straight away she'd attempt to clean up any evidence that she had birthed the child, alert someone, and hope her actions did not catch up with her.

If we look back through history this behaviour isn't exactly uncommon in areas where women cannot afford/do not have access to legal abortion facilities, a great amount of shame is placed upon those who do fall pregnant out of wedlock, and all the other factors whose influences we perhaps forget about when sitting here and judging the actions of desperate individuals. If you know that reporting the fact your baby that you, a single woman, have just birthed over a squat toilet, is stuck in the pipes, will result in you being ostracised then you make a decision; sometimes you make a decision you are vilified for. The saving grace is that she did actually report the incident, she just wanted to avoid being connected to the birth for reasons which I'm sure some at least will understand; if the shame of being an unwed mother is not enough, now you're the unwed mother who left her newborn child in sewer pipes while continuing with your daily life. I'm not condoning her actions, but considering the odds I'm not shocked that this was the course of action she took. It's not an uncommon course of action, one child policies and shame combined with an inability to undertake an abortion can result in some actions which many of us who do not live in that society find abhorrent.

I actually do not find her actions abhorrent, talking it over with a friend or two and they have said that while they would never publicly admit it they completely understand why she did what she did. They could not go to their parents and ask for help if they fell pregnant, and they're convinced the only reason any help at all has been given is due to the publicity of the story itself.

All that said, the police have decided (or at least The Independent has reported that they have) it was an accident. How reliable that story is I have no idea, the various conflicting accounts regarding the entire incident just make me think it's a story everyone wants to tell but the majority lack credible leads on.

#18 FruitFly, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  19. Rexmond

I refuse to believe it.

What punishment will the parents face?

It wouldn't surprise me if they did it on purpose. I know that in China there is the one child policy, and if the child was a female I would see why they try and rid it of this world. If it's a male newborn, then I seriously am confused but I don't want to click that link.