1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Transgender People and the Law

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PurpleRain, Jun 1, 2013.

1. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So this came out about a month and a half ago and I don't know if anyone else has seen it, but it really shows just how great discrimination really is here in the US.

Know Your Rights - Transgender People and the Law | American Civil Liberties Union

Only 17 states have anti-discrimination laws and the only reason they exist in 3 of them is because of LGBT acronym (I'm not complaining it's just kind of sad that that's the only reason we were recognized). Not to mention some states won't even let you change the gender marker on your birth certificate! Mine included! I'm joining the Tennessee Transgender Political Coalition when I come out. I will not stand for my state to be THAT far behind. :tantrum:

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also, welcome to the US, where we're behind Argentina...

I'm going to march in solidarity with y'all in Pride.

3. Hexagon

That SUCKS. I never thought I'd be saying this, but its way better here. Free transition (if you're willing to wait for it) and total legal protection and transition. Wow, I feel so sorry for you.

4. yellowsun

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I cannot understand why anybody would discriminate against people who are transgender. They are human just like everyone else and deserve respect.

5. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

This really sucks. Must I move to another country when I grow up!!!

6. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Come to Britain. We have tea and free hormones. Seriously, if America had free health care then that'd make things so much easier for all of you across the pond. My heart goes out to all of you.

7. Hexagon

Not just hormones. Surgery too. True, the waiting lists are so stupid I'm getting top surgery private, but still. Free surgery.

8. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hexagon... I'm gonna move to wherever you live. :lol:

9. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hexagon, clean out your guest room. I'm moving. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Typical Dude

at least maine is on that list..

11. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

Actually, no joke Hexagon, you are *seriously* making me think here!

I am actually about to become an Italian citizen through descent, and it has ALWAYS been a dream of mine to move to Europe. So let's say if I used this citizenship to move to Britain (in a totally hypothetical world) would I be able to get citizenship in Britain easily and have all this paid for? Hmm something to think about, lololz.....

12. MerBear

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry, but I find Mona Charon's article extremely offensive. I mean, I get what she's saying about how parents should "really make sure" their children are transgender, and it's important to make sure that adults are properly and fairly assessing what's in the best interests of children. Nevertheless, I feel like her real rhetorical purpose is that she's inviting them to "just say no," which is not fair because they can't really be sure what the child is feeling. She also puts a ton of really crucial stuff in scare quotes, like "gender dysphoria," which makes one think she believes it's bogus. She also misgenders Tyler repeatedly and puts both his names in scare quotes. She makes him out to be a freak.

Mona's tiresome and a a known oppressor, and this is just par for the course.

14. MerBear

the title comes off very offensively to me.
    the comments are even worse in the 2nd article, I've never been exposed to much homophobia or transphobia ....this is a first for me....honestly, I never really was exposed to lgbt PEOPLE when i was a kid or even when i was young teenager.

I'm sorry, that im new to all this, this kind of is a shock on how everyone see's transgendered people. its sad...and i'm sorry you and others have to go through that

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I appreciate that you care, and I don't think you should feel the need to apologize. You're not the one being terrible here. Yes, it hurts reading articles like that, but it's important to know the full extent of what the enemy thinks.

It also emphasizes the importance of continuing to fight.

16. MerBear

it is important.
    I just, i say sorry a lot and plus i feel i need to say sorry because i'm really not educated on transgendered issues and such and i feel i should because, i think its important to research things that you' dont know much about.

but whatever challenges comes your way, Me and others will be there to back you up 100% of the way :slight_smile:

17. Leutheria

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh shit, I wish I hadn't read that article.

I mean, holy fucking gender roles, Batman. Excuse me while I douse my brain in bleach.

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that so many states are way behind in trans rights, what with the high percentage of wackos down south. Angers me, but doesn't surprise me. :frowning2:

18. Candace

New York nor Georgia are on the list :frowning2: