1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Evangelical Lutheran Church Elects First Openly Gay Bishop

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BornInTexas, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Incognito10

I grew up Lutheran and always considered them very conservative, so this is a pleasant surprise to me.

However, it's going to take a lot, most likely, to get a grassroots operation going to ramp up inclusion within a lot of local churches.

Good news and thanks for sharing.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My knowledge of Lutheranism is limited to about ten minutes of my sophomore history class, but I'm under the impression Martin Luther was the first to propose that it was love for God alone, not blindly following the church's rules, that allowed entrance to heaven. Now, that could still mean pretty much anything, but it was a baby step in the direction of "Maybe people aren't all so bad."

It's awesome news however. (!)

3. Incognito10

From my past years in the church (now atheist), Martin Luther taught that people are "saved" by faith in Christ, not by deeds or good work, as I suppose Catholicism traditionally taught (hence the reason for Martin Luther breaking away from the Catholic Church). By no means, was the Lutheran Church I attended a "liberal" faith, IMO.

4. Candace

This news made my day!:thumbsup: