1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Fundementalist religion is a mental illness - Science shows.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Emberstone, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Emberstone

2. Tim

Tim

Well that made a complete turn fast. o_o

3. Hexagon

Interesting. And dangerous. If a certain type of religious person can be diagnosed as mentally ill rather than allowed to speak, then what about other types of political dissent? I can see this being abused.

#3 Hexagon, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  4. Theodora

:lol:

Reading the article it does seem worrying though.

Social brainwashing is very dangerous.

#4 Theodora, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  5. Beware Of You

Well fundamentalists are so set on their beliefs that why wholly ignore or belittle anything that goes against what is written in their ancient books.

6. Ridiculous

Where's the cut off between fundamental and 'acceptable' religion?

7. Tim

Tim

Probably the same cut off between straight and gay in the whole declared a mental illness thing is.

8. From homosexuality being a mental illness to fundamentalism being a mental illness. You've made progress America! :thumbsup:

9. Ticklish Fish

I'm not sure which part exactly of fundamental religion is a mental illness, but I think it's the brainwashing part that is damaging?

10. Emberstone

from my read of the article, I found the implication on what constitutes the mental illness is not simply the brainwashing, but the refusal to accept irrevokable fact as truth.

most religious people do a actually believe in evolution. they trust in medicine and science, and when presented with the facts, they don't bawk at them. They are able to accept facts, even if on a moral level, they might disagree with something.

where fundementalisem comes in is often rooted in a need to destroy anything, regardless of it being a concrete fact, that does not fit with what untestable, and even disprovable belief they have decided to hold. it is that aggressive, and at times violent need to demean, and at times destroy, anything that does not fit their fabricated world view that is where mental illness is rooted.

11. Candace

Sigh...fundamentalists make me sick. -______-

12. Cthulhu

Brainwashing definitely is a problem, but considering radical religion as a mental illness could bring unintended consequences. It somewhat reminds me of the major themes of 12 Monkeys where an idea is considered insane in one time period and sane in another (eg. abolitionism).

13. Emberstone

the point of radicalisem is that it represents a quanitifiable threat to the well-being of others. thats why when we talk about fundementalist christian and islamic terrorisist, we refer to the point of 'how they were radicalized'.

fundementalist behave in sociopathic and at times psychopathic ways. so yes; fundementaliem consitutes mental illness.

14. Cthulhu

Oh I definitely believe fundamentalism can be constituted as a mental illness. I'm just wondering what unintended consequences may lie ahead if it was officially considered as such.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least in the US, it's getting into very complicated territory. Regardless of what one's religious beliefs are, most of us would agree that another person has the right to hold beliefs we don't agree with... possibly with the qualifier that they can hold those beliefs as long as the beliefs don't trample on others' beliefs or rights.

I see the distinction that Emberstone is making and I can agree with it; I think there's a huge difference between people with strong religious convictions, but who are nonetheless grounded and clear on the importance of critical thought, on the one hand, and people who are so out of touch with reality that they actually believe that the earth is only 6000 years old and other such nonsense.

Nonetheless, I think it's a sticky issue to start talking about treating people that essentially aren't capable of critical thinking, and treating them for what amounts to extremely rigid beliefs. I can see some benefit, but I can also see it being a dangerous precedent.

16. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not entirely sure with Islam or Hinduism but in Christianity, there are 2 types of churches: Ones that believe if you don't follow all of God's rules, you will be thrown in eternal hellfire and focus specifically on that (WBC, most Catholic churches) and ones that focus more on the Gospel in the New Testament, where Jesus has said that nobody is perfect, and in order to get into heaven, you must do 2 things and those things only: 1. Believe in God and love your God and 2. Love your neighbor as yourself (Methodist, some Baptist, some Lutheran). The main scripture they follow is John 3:16, something Fred Phelps seems to have completely forgotten about. This is what most churches drive towards: "For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but shall have eternal life"

Also, as far as I know, Buddhism doesn't really focus much on sexuality, if at all. Neither does Confusionism or Taoism. Asians seem really nice, don't they? :lol:

17. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

I wouldn't call it progress. I find it troubling, as it has been asked, where is the line drawn for acceptable and unacceptable religion?

18. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Yea

19. Ticklish Fish

is evangelical christian sort of fundie? because i spent my teenage years in an evangelical one, and i remember sermons/Sunday Schools on ideology that sounds fundie

20. Emberstone

some are fundementalist, some are just fairly right wing.

For example, I have family that are right wing conservative christians, but they accept me, and dont judge me for being gay, even though they go to a church that has some fundementalist tendacies... of course, for my aunt and uncle, one is a math teacher, and the other is a science teacher, so though they are right wing, and have strong faith, they also are rational thinkers.