1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Gay marriage bill: Lords debate 'wrecking amendment'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by paperyostrich, Jun 4, 2013.

1. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Things are getting really tense now. They're voting on the bill at 19:00 GMT

Peers have spent several hours debating whether to "wreck" the government's plans to bring in same sex-marriage, ahead of a crucial vote on Tuesday.

The bill, covering England and Wales, was backed by the Commons with a 205 majority, despite 161 MPs opposing it.

Ex-chief constable Lord Dear, who has tabled the amendment aimed at stopping it proceeding any further, called the proposals "ill-considered".

But the government said everyone should have the right to marry.

The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill for England and Wales would allow couples who can currently form civil partnerships to marry.

The debate started early on Monday afternoon and is due to continue on Tuesday, with a vote expected at about 1900 BST.

'Deep concern'

If the bill passes, religious organisations would have to "opt in" to offering weddings, with the Church of England and Church in Wales being banned in law from doing so.

It is backed by Prime Minister David Cameron, his Liberal Democrat deputy Nick Clegg and Labour leader Ed Miliband - 366 MPs voted in favour in the free vote in the Commons.

The bill, which has been criticised by Conservative activists, is expected to face a tough passage through the Lords. If crossbench peer Lord Dear's amendment, aimed at preventing the legislation getting a second reading, were passed, it would effectively kill it.

The former chief constable of West Midlands Police told peers the bill was "ill-considered" and sought to "overturn centuries of tradition".

It was "blind to the laws of unintended consequences", he added, calling homosexuals "a very small minority".

Lord Dear also said: "The concept should be sent back to the drawing board. This is too serious a matter to be hurried through on a whim and in a cavalier fashion."

But equalities minister Baroness Stowell of Beeston said: "For gay and lesbian couples this matters. It matters because it means the final acceptance of who they are."

She added that discrimination against homosexuals was "wrong" and that "no religion or faith would be required to change its beliefs or doctrines" as a result of the bill.

Same-sex marriage was "new and different" but would "not affect the nature of existing marriage", Lady Beeston said.

Baroness Royall, Labour's leader in the Lords, said she understood the bill had caused "anguish" for some people of faith, but she did not understand the argument that gay marriage could "harm marriage between a man and a woman".

'Not discrimination'

But the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Rev Justin Welby, told the Lords the plans would "weaken" existing marriage, adding that ministers were confusing "equality" with "uniformity".

He added: "I and many of my colleagues retain considerable hesitations about this bill."

Conservative former cabinet minister Lord Tebbit: "This bill is promoted as a measure to end discrimination against homosexuals, but the present law of marriage does not discriminate against homosexuals.

"The rights of a homosexual man are identical to mine. Subject to the laws on incest and bigamy, we are both free to marry a woman. Neither he nor I may marry another man. Our positions are identical."

And Labour's Lord Anderson of Swansea challenged Mr Cameron to hold a referendum on the issue, saying: "Surely this proposed change is far more fundamental to our society than any transfer of power to Brussels."

He said the prime minister "and his friends can put their case", but added that "many of us - Conservatives, Labour and crossbenchers - will be on the other side. Let the people decide."

Some 86 peers are expected to speak in the debate with a final vote due on Tuesday evening.

The Conservative Grassroots group has called on peers to reject the bill, but Mr Cameron hopes it will become law soon and that the first ceremonies can take place by next summer.

The Scottish government has confirmed it will introduce a bill shortly to allow same-sex marriage.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And the law bans rich and poor alike from sleeping under a bridge.

3. Em1234

Em1234 Guest

I'm sorry if this is a bit slow. Why are the Church of England and Church in Wales banned by law from opting in to offer same sex weddings?

also this makes me so angry! What a douche!

#3 Em1234, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
  4. Lewis

I apologise for me not being politically inclined, but after they've debated and voted in the HoL, what happens next? Does that mean same-sex marriage is then legal?

I'm watching the second-reading live right now. I'm quite surprised how many there are FOR it rather than against it.

5. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They didn't want to be associated with same sex marriage, and if the government forced them to do it, then they said they would split from the government. Effectively this meant we won't have much in one of out government houses, the house of lords. This is where the C of E are heavily active, hence why things are tense, and have a possibility to go down the plughole so to speak.

---------- Post added 4th Jun 2013 at 03:39 PM ----------

I should know this haha, but I'm not too sure. I think it needs royal assent and some other minor things before coming into law, but that wouldn't take long :slight_smile: I'm sorry, maybe someone more educated in this field could help you out with answering that one.

6. Lewis

Haha. I just looked it up and apparent they make amendments to the bill before coming into law.

I think they will probably make it so nobody has to be forced into performing a same-sex marriage.

7. Em1234

Em1234 Guest

Thanks Paperyostrich, that makes much more sense now!

8. caughtbywitness

I took Law for about 3 weeks but I'll try and help -

1st Reading
    2nd Reading
    Committee Stage (Ammendments can be made, certain groups get involved with specific group of MPs)
    Report Stage (Back in the house)
    3rd Reading

This is the same in the House of Lords, so next they will go to Committee stage, where they will look and possibly propose amendments. Then it goes back for Report/3rd Reading stages, and they vote whether to let it go. If they say yes, then the Queen signs and it's law. (She can refuse, but this hasn't been done since... 1700 sometime)

If they say no, we're f**cked. Nah, it'll just take longer.

Interesting that many Lords have been saying that they have no right to stop a bill, but they can change it. This is true, the Lords would really be going against their whole point if they didn't let it go through. If they kept doing this HoC could push it through without their consent.

9. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmmm, try telling that to some of the people in the house of Lords though. It's stupid really, they just don't seem to get it. It's like they are just putting their views into this whole thing without considering anybody else's. I mean, personally, I think that David Cameron should have put the entire thing up for a referendum.

On another note, I'm still rather sceptical about the whole bill and whether it will pass or not. Look at Illinois (even though they aren't really comparable, but hold with me) everyone thought that one was going to pass, but then nothing happened. Everyone has high hopes, and if this law does get 'struck down (even know it's apparently exceedingly rare) then I'll be very upset, and I will know that somewhere in the USA, NOM will be laughing and partying, and that makes me angry...

10. Candace

I am praying that the U.K. and the HoL will change! I hope it does pass :/ (American here, by the way)

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lord Dear's a moron and the Archbishop clearly has little faith in marriage in general if he thinks same-sex marriages would weaken it. lol.

12. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not really the UK that's the problem (Maybe Northern Ireland) when it comes to this issue. The majority want the bill to be passed. It's the religious heads in the political system who are causing all of the trouble.

And I hope that DOMA is struck down! The desicion must be soon now? This month isn't it?

13. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't put it past the old fuddy duddies, they are quite out of touch with reality, but I hope they surprise me :slight_smile:

14. Lewis

Uh-oh! The debate has now come to an end and they are preparing to vote...more Lords shouted 'not-content' which means they are going to vote no compared the the ones that shouted 'content' which will be voting yes.

I don't get any of this! ;rs;gkjs;gjsg

:frowning2:

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any live feeds?

Also, is this the last "House" it has to get through?

16. Lewis

BBC Democracy Live - House of Lords

It's not looking good.

---------- Post added 4th Jun 2013 at 09:34 AM ----------

OH, so what I said earlier was a good thing. Never mind.

So it is looking good. :lol:

#16 Lewis, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you.

Seems like I missed the action though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Lewis

Right now it's just awaiting a decision. I'm sat here in suspense. It annoys me that these old crones are deciding my fate.

---------- Post added 4th Jun 2013 at 09:44 AM ----------

Result is expected imminently...

19. Em1234

Em1234 Guest

Content 148, Not content 390 :frowning2:

20. Lewis

Woop! 300 not-contents :grin:

---------- Post added 4th Jun 2013 at 09:49 AM ----------

That's a good thing! I thought that earlier too...

Politics...:confused: