1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Lord Dannatt: Gay marriage Bill goes against what I've fought for as a soldier

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dublin Boy, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lord Dannatt, the former head of the Army, has said the way the gay marriage legislation has been brought before Parliament goes against what he spent 40 years of his life fighting for as a soldier.

In an extraordinary intervention, Lord Dannatt, an independent crossbench peer who was chief of the general staff from 2006 to 2009, accused the Government of committing an “abuse of the democratic process” over gay marriage.

Speaking on the first day of debate on the Bill in the House of Lords he warned that "respect and tolerance" were being threatened.

Lord Dannatt said: “I believe that the process of this Bill to date has been tantamount to an abuse of process, which as a member of the mother of parliaments I am deeply unhappy about.

“Following due process and procedure is a principle that I spent the 40 years of my professional life upholding.

“We fought for the ballot box for 38 years in Northern Ireland. We stood for democracy against communism for 44 years in Europe. We stood for the democratic rights of self-determination in the Falklands in 1982 and we still do. And now as a Parliamentarian I am asked to accept an abuse of the democratic process and I will not do it.

This Bill is of historic importance and in my view history will judge us poorly if this issue was thought to have been fast-tracked to the statute book without due regard to the established democratic and parliamentary processes.”

He said that in 2008 he was the first chief of staff of any of the three armed services to give the opening address at the annual LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) conference.

He told peers: "My theme in that address focused on one of the Army's six core values - respect for others.

"I may not personally have understood or approved the circumstances of those who were members of the armed forces LGBT community but I had an obligation to respect them as individuals.

"Such respect and tolerance is being severely challenge by this ill-thought through Bill."
    Lord Mawhinney, a former chairman of the Conservative Party, used the debate to say he wants to “to raise a flag for swivel-eyed loons” over the same-sex marriage Bill.
    The Daily Telegraph and other newspapers disclosed last month that a member of David Cameron’s inner circle had described Conservative association members as “mad, swivel-eyed loons”.

Lord Mawhinney indicated that he had been labelled as a loon because of his opposition to gay marriage.

"For 40 years my life has been driven by my Christian and Conservative convictions," Lord Mawhinney said.

"And now I am led to believe that because I have continued to hold those values and principles I'm a swivel-eyed loon.

"Well, I want to raise a flag for swivel-eyed loons because at the very heart of the country and our party is a commitment to values and principles that our time-tested."
    Hereditary peer Lord Hylton has hit out at the way the "delightful" word "gay" had been taken over by homosexuals.

The 80-year-old independent crossbench peer made his comments as he spoke out against same-sex marriage.

He also argued that "medical opinion" was against gay marriage.
    "I regret very much that the fine old English and French word gay has in my lifetime been appropriated by a small but vocal minority of the population," he said during second reading of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill.

He said it was no longer possible to use it in its "original and rather delightful form".
    He added about the Bill: "The whole matter has not been adequately considered. It urgently needs further and deeper thought.

"We should not be rushed off our feet just because some other countries have already legislated for same-sex marriage or a Bill may be needed to cement the coalition.
    "There is ample evidence that public opinion including medical opinion is against the Bill."
    The Bill is certain to face detailed challenges in the Lords, if it survives the second reading vote.

David Cameron has faced considerable pressure from Tory activists to abandon the reform.

Mr Cameron has personally championed same-sex marriage in the face of vehement opposition from many in his own party and church leaders.

More Conservative MPs voted against it than for in the Commons, but Labour and Liberal Democrat support meant it was eventually passed by a majority of 205 in a free vote following a highly-charged debate.

Lord Dannatt: Gay marriage Bill goes against what I've fought for as a soldier - Telegraph

2. Hexagon

I'm curious. How does it threaten democracy to legalise something that a) a majority of the country is in favour of and b) is a largely private matter and hurts no one?

I can't be sure, but I have a feeling these guys are pricks. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Gay marriage is happening, and a few hate-filled idiots won't change much. They're all going to die sooner or later, mostly sooner if you take the average age of the peers into account.

3. Beware Of You

Another out of touch tory living in the past.

This is the thing with the house of Lords, you get life peers who don't know when to quit

4. Hexagon

I think the problem with the house of lords is life peers, period.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An abuse of the democratic process....I thought that's what VOTING means.

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I must say though with Homophobe's like the one in this article sitting in the house of lords, I was surprised by the outcome of yesterdays vote, I would also like to add, that what this jerk seems to forget is that there have always been Gay people in the army, that have put there lives on the line for democracy & died during wars & saved the lives of their Straight buddies, by watching their backs during conflicts, something this jerk seems to have overlooked, oh I forgot, he was probably one of those pleasant people that bullied Gay Soldiers & made their lives hell whilst in service :slight_smile:

But it's not OK for them to not have equal rights & to get married like their Straight counterparts, they fought for the Democratic process as well, which includes the right to equality :slight_smile:

#6 Dublin Boy, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eughh, the Lords is possibly the worst upper house in the Commonwealth. You guys really need to move to an elected Senate. (Of course, the majority want that too, but not Parliament). And if Lord Dannatt fought for oppression, repressed society, and hatred, he's certainly supporting his values.

8. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Well said.

9. Harve

Fortunately, the Lords can't really do much. But yes, you're right.

10. caughtbywitness

The Lords know this. This is why they will not wreck the bill (they are worried about being made redundant). The only problem we really have are their amendments.

11. Salazar

I'd think you'd find the majority don't. You'd have another bureaucratic bungle of elected prats. The Lords do a pretty good job, on the whole. Seeing as there is no salary for a Lord and they simply have their expenses paid, they're also rather cheaper than an elected house.