1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News No rulings on Prop 8 or DOMA today.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BryanM, Jun 17, 2013.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So the Supreme Court of the United States ruled 7-2 on a voter registration law in Arizona today, but still no rulings on Prop 8 or DOMA. The next ruling for this session could come anytime between Thursday or the end of the month.

I can't even tell you how on edge I was that they might be ruling on one of the rulings today. Oh well, Thursday could very well be the day. Hope they repeal both DOMA and Prop 8!

2. I've been waiting for it as well. I really hope they do the right thing here. I want to be able to marry a woman one of these days.

3. I'm actually surprised that many non-Californians care about the Prop 8 ruling since the proposition won't affect other states (according to my perspective).

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would be another step towards full equality, that's why I have been watching it very closely.

5. Hefiel

It's because the ruling would set a precedent that could allow LGBT to expand their rights in other states.

6. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll be happy if they legalize it in my state, but anything less than declaring a constitutional right for marriage (in every state) will leave me disappointed.

7. chrisV

i don't understand how somebody can support something like prop 8, or DOMA. two straight people who hate each other have more of a right to marry than 2 gay people who love each other. it makes no sense.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is making me antsy, waiting for this ruling, and the DOMA ruling. I'm hoping for a broader decision, but fearing a narrower one.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't hold your breath. Both of these decisions will crush us.

10. Rulings like this often become stepping stones for other cases. Someone in Texas can sue for the right to marry and use this case as proof for their case.

Also, the Supreme court can rule that not allowing homosexuals to marry is unconstitutional and advise there be a law put in place that make gay marriage legal in all states.

If gay marriage continues to be a state by state issue, there are some of us who will never be allowed to marry.

11. TimTomC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You probably won't be happy with the rulings, the supreme court is too conservative to make any big changes, they won't rule against us, but what they will rule will be small and not significant.

12. chrisV

as much as i want to believe that things will change, i know that you are right.

13. AlamoCity

Also, depending on how the court rules, it could leave the decosion of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals for that region intact, which could provide, in theory, the legal framework to the people living in the jurisdiction of that Court to appeal. But who knows, really.

An interesting part of the Court of Appeals decision was this quote:

14. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

I am concerned because I am planning on moving to California for college and staying there, so this does effect me, somewhat.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a rather negative view on it...

16. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

I'm so anxiously waiting for the rulings.

---------- Post added 17th Jun 2013 at 09:59 PM ----------

I hope they do the right thing and strike doma and prop 8 down.

17. Eric

The rulings are more likely to be toward the end of the month, and I'm cautiously optimistic about them.

18. Foxface

any reason to think so? Just curious, not trying to bite at you :slight_smile:

Foxface

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kennedy has gone the distance for us before, but I'm not sure that he'll be inclined to do so now. The best we can hope for is a limited judgement. I feel that the Roberts Court was anxious to hear these cases in order to do damage to the judicial strategy. I honestly don't think we want this court looking at the question of whether equal marriage is a constitutional requirement. The Prop 8 case already has the problem that the justices were not sure how to come up with a way to limit it to California. DOMA could be a limited decision on federalism, but I worry much if either of those cases get to the constitutional question.

20. The username

Same. If I have to keep hearing about SSM becoming legal for another 20 years (or however long it takes for the southern states)... >.> <.< >.< They could end this debate now. *sigh*