1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News ENDA and SSM

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi guys.

So I realize usually this forum section has news stories and in a way this is about it, but I just want to ask some questions about ENDA and SSM.

With so many people wanting same-sex marriage why is it ENDA isn't being pushed as much as SSM? Since SSM is important for things such as spousal benefits at work, etc, wouldn't it be important though to also get the Employment Non-Discrimination Act passed too so people won't be fired when their (conservative) companies find out the benefits they're paying is going to a same-sex partner for example. I'm not saying ENDA should come before SSM, I'm just saying why is it news on ENDA is currently not as prominent as SSM. I know it was introduced into both the House and the Senate April 25 this year, but other than that I don't know where it stands right now.

Hopefully posted this in the right place. Admins feel free to move to a different section if it should be there instead.

2. Emberstone

SSM is pushed at the state level, for the most part. ENDA is federal level. Federal tends to move slower than the states do on things.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gotcha. That answers that question then lol

4. Emberstone

I wish it wasn't so, but often, that is the general way of things in politics.

There is an unspoken rule that most politicians abide by, which is defer to the states. that isnt how it always goes, but most of the time, it does.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because Americans just can't think around marriage as the flagship issue, even though it's not.