1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Proposal for a “Gay Cure” is approved by the Human Rights Commission in Brazil

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SilverGirl, Jun 18, 2013.

1. SilverGirl

Huh, "Human Rights"? Really?

Proposal For A “Gay Cure” Is Approved By The Human Rights Commission In Brazil | Made in Brazil

Brazil Congress panel gives nod to cure gays | Astro Awani

2. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Because Rio De Janeiro totally does not have over 16% of homosexual population

3. DoriaN

4. Amerigo

oh brasil...

5. Minx

:eek: say whaaa :eusa_eh:

6. BornInTexas

7. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really? But I thought Brazil was progressive on this issue... At least this ridiculous bill isn't likely to pass, according to those articles.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. Candace

I hope it passes as well as a toad would do on a calculus test.

I know many Brazilians personally (who are gay), and then I've had the misfortune to meet some homophobic Brazilians....so...I'm worried as to what will come of this. I wish countries like this one would stop living in the Dark Ages and become progressive already -_-...

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Funny. I would think Brasil would be more progressive on this issue, knowing Rio de Janeiro is one of the gayest cities on earth. You let me down, Brasil...

11. SilverGirl

the problem is that president of the human rights commission is an evangelical pastor named Marco Feliciano who hates black people and gays, while there is a lot of support for LGBT, he and other religious politicians try hard to screw things up

he also picked a day that there were no LGBT-supportive politicians on congress, so that made things easier

12. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Human rights, well I suppose they are supporting human rights, the right of psychiatrists to abandon human rights and become monsters.

13. biggayguy

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Reparative therapy needs a lot of damage control. Will their government offer that, too? The damage done by reparative therapy is so dire and long-lasting that most mental health professionals in America denounce it. This is sort of typical, and one of the various dangers of right wing or religious zealots.

15. You cure illnesses, not this.

Yay X-men!

16. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "The National Psychology Council has rejected the bill and campaigned against it".

*DING-DONG* hellloooooo~ :slight_smile: :sleep: :smilewave there is no such thing as a cure for gayness/ straightness. the whole thing is like an idiot's temper tantrum... who is this guy, anyway?

I would say 'just let them have it their way' but from what you guys are saying, there's damage that comes with 'repairative therapy'. :confused: I would just laugh in their faces and tell them "I want my money back", lol.

#16 Shadowsettler, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  17. Kamina

That just makes me sad like in the "I weap for humanity kind of way"

18. GingerGuy

Being Brazilian (and from Rio de Janeiro), I am really sad about the fact that you guys had to read this. I feel really ashamed of having been born in a place where a clearly racist and homophobic shepard (church leader in a Protestant area, I'm not sure if the word is the same in English) got elected for the presidency of the human rights commission. We can't really blame the people, though, since he's in power now due to his comrades from the cristian party, who put him there with no popular participation. Thankfully, there have been manifestations against him since the day he sat on the chair, and now that the country is completely swept by a wave of protests against the abuses our corrupt government generates, it will be much easier to overthrow him, now that the population has finally awoken to the problems in Brazil instead of remaining apathetic about them.

So, I don't think this new law will pass. If it does, popular pressure will be so big that it'll quickly go back to where it came from.

---------- Post added 19th Jun 2013 at 09:23 PM ----------

I have seen, in this thread, some very wrong ideas about Brazil's stance on homosexuality. Externally, we create an image of openeds and acceptance, but I can tell you all that it isn't true. Our media is monopolized by Globo Net, a TV channel which is so powerful that it filters pretty much all the information that gets in our homes. They try to bring awareness to the gay cause in our society with their soap operas, but by doing so they perpetuate some really bad stereotypes that only induces more homophobia against us.

But outside the TV screen that is exported to other countries, it's hard to be a homosexual in Brazil. Most of the country is very religious, as a consequence of living in poverty and lacking access to schools and academic formation. Along with all the serious problems this situation brings, it also creates a huge mass of people who are easily manipulated by corrupt Protestant churches, who only want to explore and take the money from the common lower class worker, taking advantage of his ignorance. So, they indoctrinate people from smaller cities against h

---------- Post added 19th Jun 2013 at 09:35 PM ----------

Cont.

.... Gays, generating a high rate of homophobic murders in this areas. And as the television raises more awareness on the subject of homosexuality, the death toll rises. The big cities with more educated people fare better, but homophobia and sexism are still rooted in our culture wherever we go. Being gay and not being "macho" (which can be defined by simply not enjoying soccer) are really shameful tactics used to insult men, and coming out is difficult in the vast majority of places. What we have in spades, specially in litoranean cities like Rio, is gay tourism, which is great, but it also includes prostitution and sexual traffic of minors. This leads to gay men to be associated with promiscuity and aids, which again, brings more prejudice. In my own school, the friends I've came out to have all been very supportive of me, but many other classmates of mine are openly homophobic and have actually teased me sometimes, after I made some "suspicious behavior". Any web news about gay rights issues will certainly generate a lot of discussions and some severe religious and homophobic comments.

I hate to speak ill of my own country, but I felt like I needed to do it this time. I want to show you all what brazil really is like, and destroy any illusions about my home country. So, to conclude, we are NOT a tropical paradise, Rio de Janeiro is NOT a gay city, and Brazil is NOT a gay friendly country. We are on the same boat as America or Europe. Or perhaps a few strokes behind it.

19. hkboy93

Another good reason for me to stay away from religion

20. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rêves de New York et des blazers...
    Say whaaat? :s But Brazil just legalised gay marriage nationwide? Rio is like the rainbow capital of the universe? Whaaat? :s I'm really confused and annoyed with this. -.- especially how even the Supreme Court in Brazil is a pretty tolerant one. Hopefully this will be struck down soon enough...

---------- Post added 20th Jun 2013 at 05:38 PM ----------

AHHH to be honest I have heard that it wasn't all rainbows and feather boas in Brazil. :frowning2: Sorry to hear it's not so good for you lot there, I thought it was much better than it is. And there was me thinking we were living in more progressive times, and yet with the demonstrations in Paris too... :/ Eh, I'm just hoping its just lots of vocal minorities.