1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News scotland's anti- rape commercial

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MerBear, Jun 22, 2013.

1. MerBear

[YOUTUBE]WGnGPAZcsqE[/YOUTUBE]

what is your view on it?
    a lot of it says it's controversial for some reason.
    I don't find anything wrong with it

2. Amerigo

exactly. nothing wrong with it. in saudi arabia they blame women for getting raped and then stone them.

3. MerBear

A lot of question whether it is effective or not. I think that's the real controversy. I think its affecting and yeah, i saw a documentary on it actually, its really sad

4. Fiddledeedee

Seems like a good way of going against the victim-blaming attitude. Hm, are there links to sites explaining why it's so controversial?

5. MerBear

I actually don't know. I saw a comment saying it was controversial...I shouldn't do that but Mistake on my part.

I think somewhere on tumblr, they were just arguing on whether or not, its effective.

6. Amerigo

i think rape in general is controversial, so anything associated is bound to be placed under the same banner, there will always be controversy etc.

7. MerBear

Here are some comments from the ad

comments like that are part of it too.

8. Candace

It's creative, but it doesn't really provoke saying "rape is a crime and you will be punished" etc.

9. Amerigo

perhaps the potential rape victim is saying "as if - clothes are no excuse for rape", an excuse rapists often use, like those in saudi arabia (bare ankles etc.)

10. MerBear

thats what she was saying
    "wearing some type of clothing doesn't mean you're "asking for it"

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2013 at 02:35 PM ----------

an article like this

Do sluts ask to get raped?

some of the comments make me mad and its stupid.

No woman asks to get raped but still there are some who believe it

11. Amerigo

this comment is quite illogical:

because people do use the skimpy clothes excuse. what's more, 'Bonger (1943) on the basis of English & French data, concluded that rape increases from spring season onwards and reaches the peak in summer.' also from a quick wiki check i found this: ' The relationship between the hotter months of summer and a peak in rape and assault seems to be almost universal.' still, i don't blame someone for dressing provocatively, there is no excuse for rape.

overall i agree with this comment as i am quite confused myself:

and this:

12. MerBear

exactly. there is NO excuse to get raped and here are some stats to go with it

Recent research reveals that almost one in five Scots believe a woman is partially to blame for being raped if she is wearing revealing clothing - a survey of 1,040 Scots carried out by Cello MRUK in February 2010 for the Scottish Government found that:

23 percent think a woman can be at least partly responsible if she is drunk at the time of the attack
    17 percent thought that a woman bore some responsibility if she wore revealing clothing
    15 percent say there should be some burden of responsibility for rape if the women is flirting
    8 percent think rape can be the woman's fault if she is known to have had many sexual partners

13. Hexagon

Good ad. It shouldn't need to be said, but somehow it does.

14. LD579

I just want to say that I love everyone's accents in the video.

I think it's pretty bold and straight-forward, but that's not a bad thing. I can see some people disapproving of the video, though.

15. MerBear

well, i think its because in scotland and other area's ...that they believe if she wears a certain clothing then she had it coming

16. MrBrightside

Im going to take you up on this point here. Rape is treated very seriously up here and i dont think anyone believes "she had it coming" just because of how someone dresses. Scotland is far more progressive and modern than alot of the developed world.

The problem is the number of women who make up rape allegations (happened against a close friend). The sheer number of times false allegations are made creates an element of doubt when any allegations are made, not making an opinion on this but thats what happens.

We have a lot of advertising campaigns by the government up here, for drink driving, giving blood etc. This will be a series of adverts id presume (like the others) which will tackle individual stereotypes or myths one at a time to get the point across.

Good advert imo, but it does patronise people too much for my liking.

17. MerBear

i'm not saying EVERYONE believes that. i should have said Some....my mistake but i do know people here in the U.S and elsewhere who do believe that...

and hey, dude....i'm just going by the statistics (read above). i never said, they didn't do anything about it.

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2013 at 05:49 PM ----------

excuse me.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I think it's good about rebutting victim-blaming, but the problem is I think rape prevention needs to focus on men. (Because like, we're the ones doing it most of the time.)

What I'd really like to see is PSAs that get men to call each other out for rape jokes or ask them to intervene when they see a sketchy situation. We do have a few of those. I'm not a huge fan of "My Strength is Not For Hurting," because they tend to glorify men just for making the right decision.

We need to ask more of men. It's not just "don't be a rapist." It's "don't let anybody else be a rapist."

19. FruitFly

I think given that they want to target a large portion of the population and cannot cater an advert specifically for all the people who scratch their heads going "but that's obvious, isn't it?" it's a nice, to the point reminder. However the effectiveness of ANY campaign regarding rape (and indeed other issues) is always going to be questionable as just because people are aware of what the right way of thinking is does not mean they use that knowledge, or indeed that they listen to the message in the first place.

I still think it's a message that does need to be spread in that sort of short advert form though as it is not as obvious as some people think it is. It's still a very, very common thing for people to comment that if you don't want to get raped/don't want people to assume you're "gagging for it", don't wear revealing clothing. It'll be interesting to see how the campaign develops, and if they issue alternative adverts with different takes.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, one thought I wanted to give out related to that exact commercial is that they should have continued with the scene where the man quips that "she's asking for it," and his friend/associated should have questioned him. I think that would have been more powerful, because men don't get a lot of messages about challenging this sort of behavior.