1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Waiting on Proposition 8 and DOMA decisions: In Plain English

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Dan82

http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/06/waiting-on-proposition-8-and-doma-decisions-in-plain-english/

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, there's so many implications here.

About 3 years ago, the State of Maryland gave same sex domestic partners the ability to add them to their partner's health-care plans, as if they were a spouse. You had to supply a joint lease, a life insurance policy, or any two of a list of documents, and then pay the same ammount per month as a married couple: about $60/month more, depending on the policy. The catch? If you had a same sex partner, you get taxed on the total value of the policy as if it were additional income. So I'm taxed as if I made an additional $3,500/year, whereas a married couple would not.

Now the state has passed same sex marriage, and to keep my partner on my policy, we have to be married by Dec 31. So we plan to get married this fall; it's been 20+ years, and though we'd like more time to plan, I'm still happy the state will recognize this, and not tax us on the state level. But that leaves the federal level. So for me, this has a direct impact: If DOMA is unconstitutional on the federal level, and we get married, I hope this means we don't get taxed on that level.

I'm crossing my fingers on both cases, but I'm understandably nervous. I work as a library assistant, and don't make a great deal...my partner waits tables. So this could make a big difference, at a time the economy has seen us struggling with rising costs and stagnant wages.

It's odd, I never thought I'd be seeing this, at one time, yet here we are.