1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Amnesty International condemns 'homophobia' in Africa

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Alex94, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Amerigo

i wish they did more than just 'condemn' all the time.

2. ANightDude

Condemning is the same as finger waving. You see it but it doesn't do shit.

I mean, I know AI doesn't have massive power, but come on. Whatever happened to the UK threatening Uganda with expulsion from the Commonwealth? What about economic sanctions? Or offering asylum for homosexuals in oppressive nations?

I mean, seriously.

3. Aldrick

Amnesty International is just a human rights watch group. They don't have the power to actually make laws or anything, only report on what they find, which they are doing.

However, I agree - western nations need to be more aggressive toward African countries - especially those who receive foreign aid. Western nations also need to recognize what is going on in the rest of the world, and begin modifying their immigration laws to allow people from anti-LGBT countries to immigrate and obtain asylum on human rights grounds. Hell, western governments should be setting up a fund to help them get out, and get established in their host countries.

Finally, the mainstream media needs to shine a light on the Christian Fundamentalists in the United States who are traveling abroad to Africa in order to encourage this type of shit. We need to know their names, their churches, and where they live.

4. MerBear

why where they live? No offense but i think if they had kids, it might put them in harms way....like westboro baptist church.

Im just looking at precautions here

5. Aldrick

We want to know where they live so people can protest outside their house day and night. They have a First Amendment right to spread their hate, but that doesn't absolve them of the social consequences. I don't condone the targeting of their children, but if they have kids and are concerned for their welfare then it would be in their best interest to cease trying to get other peoples children killed by spreading their hate.

I have no qualms about making their living arrangements uncomfortable. The only way you stop bigots is by making their bigotry socially unacceptable.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the gentleman from Virginia. There has to be a way to bring social sanctions to the hateful. I mean, they want to kill us. Really, they do. They think that God has doomed the whole country because gay sex is not punishable by death.