1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News New Jersey becomes 2nd state to disallow reparative therapy

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Tightrope, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    New Jersey's legislators overwhelmingly voted to disallow reparative therapy. However, like California, the legislation is aimed at minors, meaning that adults can still seek it and providers can still practice in this area. Governor Christie did not say specifically what he would do when the legislation lands on his desk. However, it most likely will become law in New Jersey. It will be interesting to see how many states follow suit and how quickly they will do so.

2. Hefiel

I recall reading somewhere that he eventually decided he was "against" conversion therapy, so I think it's safe to assume that he's going to sign it. Unless he suddenly receives a lot of money from religious groups...we'll see :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

It should be banned completely on the basis of being:
    A. Pseudo-scientific hogwash.
    B. Being harmful to it's patients.

No respectable medical or psychological association supports reperative therapy, in fact they all argue against it.

4. Candace

This is good! Now if they could just ALLOW people to pump their own gas :dry:

5. Gen

Gen

While I agree in every possible sense, it will never be banned based on the structure of the modern legal system. Not even as an American ideal, but worldwide, there is the ideal that consenting adults have the right to destroy themselves. Medically, psychologically, etc.

I don't fully agree with this ideal, but it is the accepted standard.

6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I know. :icon_sad: