1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Still no gay marriage in NJ, Christie says

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Dan82

Guess he still has Presidential ambitions

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...on-doesnt-mean-squat-in-NJ-Christie-says.html

2. MerBear

Fuck christie, he's an asshole republican who likes to have the cameras on him, the whole godamn time. I dont have the time, to give a shit what he thinks

3. Stripe101

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I never realized David Mcsweeney could be an Illinois representative AND the governor of New Jersey!

5. MerBear

omg hahaha so true. :roflmao:

6. SecretlyASloth

...and he's insecure.
    Just saying....XD

7. Emberstone

like it or not, the supreme court acted exactly as they were constitutionally created to do. the supreme court is allowed to overrule the legislative bodies; its what its purpose is for: stopping the electoral systems when they screw up.

8. justjade

My name is Jade, and I approve this message that has been brought to you by Emberstone. :thumbsup:

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, for any right-wing Christian conservative with the same argument who may be reading this: Look at my avatar. Take a good, long look at my avatar. Click on my profile name if you have to. There is your answer right there. I made these things for a reason. This is exactly that reason.

10. Ticklish Fish

all i can see is a roman numeral 2...

11. Emberstone

I see the gemini zodiac symbol.

12. MerBear

because 2 fits between 2 consenting people?

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because it's between 2 consenting people. I'll also upload it as my profile picture.

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :rolle: If he has Presidential ambitions he may want to find a way to "evolve" on this issue.

Oh wait, no Republican moderate enough to win a Presidential election can do so until the Party can find a way to sneak them through the primaries. They frown on "ungodly" things such as evolution there so I hear. :lol:

15. Aldrick

Someone find Christie - he shouldn't be hard to find, he'll be near a camera screaming at it - but once you find him make sure you ask him the following question where it can be recorded:

"Governor Christie yesterday you accused the Supreme Court of substituting their own judgement for that of elected officials due to their overturning of the 1996 DOMA law. Could you give your opinion on the Supreme Court's ruling a day prior regarding the Voting Rights Act which was passed by massive bipartisan majorities in both the House and Senate and then re-signed into law by George W. Bush in 2006. More specifically, Governor I would like to know how the two Supreme Court rulings differ in your mind since they were both adopted by massive bipartisan majorities and then overruled by the Supreme Court?"

My guess it'll sound something like this: "Um, um, um, um... [Insert Statement that doesn't address the question.]"

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so happy Maryland has Martin O'Malley. Christie demonstrates the clear danger of having a Republican Governor; had it not been for that blowhard and windbag, NJ would already have gay marriage.

Does anyone know if this will be a ballot initiative in 2014 or 2016?

I've also heard the state congress may try to over-rule his veto.

#16 HuskyPup, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

And Christie is supposedly the most "moderate" Republican that party has, the savior of the party who will take the GOP into the 21st century and bring it beyond the "culture wars" garbage that has made that party unacceptable to most people under 50.

What bullshit. The supposedly tough-talking man of principle who puts his state ahead of party disregards both what is morally right and what his state wants in favor of his presidential ambitions. 64% of New Jerseyans support marriage equality, but Christie is more concerned about appealing to Republican presidential primary voters in 2016 in Iowa and South Carolina.

Now New Jerseyans, despite overwhelmingly supporting marriage equality, get to be embarrassed by being the only state in the Northeast to not have marriage equality, the only break in the whole marriage equality corridor from Maine to Maryland+D.C.

[​IMG]

Now gay rights will be set back by a decade in that state. And all because they made the mistake of electing a governor with an (R) next to his name.

That's why no LGBTQ person should EVER vote Republican. There is NO excuse whatsoever. NEVER vote Republican.

18. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, there are quite a few republicans who support same-sex marriage, and there are some democrats who oppose it. Not many of either, but they do exist. Here's the thing before you go into the booth:

1. Find out who the candidates are.
    2. Research them. I recommend Wikipedia, or if they have their own website, check that out, too.
    3. If they support same-sex marriage, vote for them.
    4. If both (or either) candidates don't support same-sex marriage, find which one seems to be the more progressive. Vote for them.

That was their mistake. The candidate they chose was very, very conservative and religious to the point of vetoing a bill that was going to be passed by the vast majority of the state legislature, and all because he wanted HIS PERSONAL religious beliefs to be upheld and legislated in his state.

#18 Jinkies, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  19. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

In cases where a Republican supports same-sex marriage, I can 100% guarantee you that his/her Democratic opponent will support it too, and probably with more fervor. Likewise, in cases where a Democratic candidate opposes marriage equality, I can guarantee 100% that the Republican candidate opposes it too- and probably in a much more dedicated way. Any Democrat who opposes equality at this point is going to be forced to answer for it, and will try to hide their position, and most of them struggle to even give a straight answer, like Mary Landrieu of Louisiana or Mark Pryor of Arkansas. Their Republican opponents, on the other hand, are unequivocal opponents of marriage equality, and proud of it.

Moreover, a vote for a Republican Congressperson or Senator is a vote for Republican control of Congress- and the Republican Party leadership is absolutely OPPOSED to gay rights in every possible way. A vote for any Republican Congressperson is a vote for the leadership of John Boehner- the man who just spent millions of dollars in taxpayer money defending DOMA after the Obama Admin stopped defending it.

And ultimately, there are a very very few Republican officeholders that support marriage equality.

If John McCain had been elected president in 2008, we would have just lost both the DOMA and Prop 8 cases, as he would have appointed two conservative justices to SCOTUS in place of the liberal justices Obama appointed. A Republican victory in 08 would have set us back nationally for a lifetime.

If Mitt Romney had been elected president in 2012, his administration would have defended DOMA, and following this ruling still put up all sorts of roadblocks for recognizing same-sex couples in terms of immigration law in interpreting this ruling.

Elections have consequences, and there really is no excuse to ever vote Republican, if you value rights and dignity for LGBTQ people.

20. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Back in '08 our state elected a Democrat as governor who opposed same-sex marriage. Now, Governor Nixon will not even say if he will fight for same sex marriage or not. Unless same sex marriage is legalized federally in the next 5 years, it'll be a while before my home state with our southern democrat governor and extremely republican house and senate will have equality. :/