1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Culture wars: Why gay marriage and abortion have been ‘decoupled’

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Dan82

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Dec...gay-marriage-and-abortion-have-been-decoupled

2. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    1. Yay, acceptance of gays is going up!
    2. Is it really ANYONE'S business what a woman does to her vagina? If they make abortion illegal, or whatever, people will just go to back alley operations. Safer if they keep it normally.

3. Aster Tataricus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad gays are being more accepted. It's a slow progress but it's closer to equality than it was... heck since biblical times. I'm not one for abortions :frowning2: Yeah I think they should be better prepared and have proper equipment for the procedure, but there are better options. For now two come to mind:
    1. Give the baby for adoption. You can plan it since the first month and interview the future parents. Every child deserves a safe home, and you can offer that much through this process.
    2. Condoms and birth control pills. Seriously if you don't want kids us protection. Not only for you, but for that unborn child. I can understand women who suffer through unconsented sex... truly a vile thing anyone can commit :frowning2: But still that's no excuse for the ones who fornicate without a condom and/or birth control :eusa_doh:

4. Quaiv

Sure, but it's not entirely their fault when they've been told over and over that contraception didn't really work and that they shouldn't even have sex in the first place. The so-called sex-ed teens get in some states is laughable - and then they're the ones who are getting knocked up and who get STDs.

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Option 1 might not always be a good option. Besides life threatening pregnancy, there also occurences of pregnancies causing lasting damage to birth canal or otherwise damage the body.

6. Aster Tataricus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sex Ed? What sex ed? Sure sex and everything that goes down is being more publicly "explained" at schools, but most of them don't go further than the surface. They actually think that teaching kids about sex ed will encourage them to have sex. When I was at school, we didn't have sex ed, and kids we're already experimenting, and there we're already a few teenage pregnancies. When teenagers are gonna have sex, there going to do so, no matter what.

There are risk with both actually :frowning2:
    The procedure brings a couple of risk mainly damage done to the internal walls of the Uterus. But the main issue would be suicide. I'm not a woman, and I could never fathom whatever reason a woman would go through with this procedure. But it's not easy. Woman who have had an abortion have a higher risk of committing suicide. We always think of "what if?" or "what would have happened?" We tend to regret most decisions in our lives...

Women should have the right to do with their body as they please. Everyone does...
    But there are other options. Everyone is free to choose what works best for them.

7. Jay

Jay

I am actually happy about this: Everyone back in El Salvador assumed I am pro-choice because I am gay. I am not, I am pro-life.

So yay for gays and yay for life.

8. sguyc

Makes sense. They have almost nothing to with each other.

9. SkyDiver

I hate when people place them side by side as if they couldn't be more similar. It really prevents the pro-life crowd (and there's a lot of them) from moving forward on gay rights.

10. MerBear

I dont like pro lifers all that much ....especially the ones who think they can threaten to blow up abortion clinics and Blame/criticize women for having abortions. fuck them. \

But im glad acceptance for gays are going up

11. 2112

I usually don't like abortion, but there are situations that it can actually help. Pregnancy can hurt the mother, and if giving birth could kill her, then abortion is the only way to save her life. Also, a lot can happen in 9 months, you can't prepare for everything. When it's possible I'm pro life, but I also understand that everything isn't perfect and sometimes abortion is needed.

12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

The risks from abortion, if done in a hospital are usually pretty small.

Some of the women do, not all of them. Nor does that change the fact that at the time it was the right thing to do.

Agreed.

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2013 at 09:23 AM ----------

Just a question: how do you feel about the death penalty?