1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News New gay marriage challenge fails

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Dan82

http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/06/new-marriage-challenge-fails/

2. BornInTexas

3. Aldrick

No, this is a good thing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It means that the Supreme Court won't be STOPPING marriages in California from happening. That's what the supporters of Prop 8 wanted. Kennedy refused to stop them from happening.

4. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank god someone explained it. I was seriously lost, I wish news would use smaller words. My tiny, teen brain can't handle those big complicated sentences.

5. The username

Lol.
    Oh well, nice try on their part.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was but even better that as it says, it may have stopped NOM (let's face it, it was them) from ever stopping marriage in California now. And what do you want to bet they'll try and get Kennedy kicked off the court (though pretty sure it's impossible) still funny.

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. Beware Of You

Well they will have spent more money on a pointless court procedure. The more of these they do they sooner they will run out of money

9. Tim

Tim

Same-sex marriages were ILLEGALLY stopped for HOW LONG in California, and they actually thought they could appeal to get them stopped temporarily? Really?

You had no right to stop them in the first place, according to SCOTUS, and you think they'll punish people for something you caused illegally already for a very long time? XD

10. BornInTexas

I meant to type :] as a smiley face. My keyboard is really small. I didn't catch that. xD Sorry.

11. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Is NOM really trying to get Kennedy kicked off the Supreme Court? I know they were working to get the judges in Iowa kicked off their court, but U.S. Supreme Court justices are appointed for life and generally serve until they either die or retire. And if they were going to try to get people kicked off SCOTUS, I'd think they would focus on true liberals like Ginsburg or Obama's appointees rather than the 'swing' judge Kennedy, who was appointed by conservative icon Ronald Reagan.

12. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Shocking.

13. Aldrick

Not to my knowledge, no. It's possible for a Supreme Court Justice to be impeached, but other than that unless they step down or die they are there for life.

Now, they'd certainly like to try and impeach all the liberal justices plus Kennedy. However, I don't think anyone in Congress - not even the Republican's - would allow it. That would be opening up a dangerous can of worms, because if we're going to begin impeaching justices because we don't like their rulings - the Democrats would begin targeting all the conservative justices - in particular Thomas and Scalia.

So, in short... no, they aren't wasting their resources on trying to impeach Kennedy, and even if they were attempting to do it - I'd encourage the Democrats to vote to impeach him anyway. That would allow Obama to appoint another Justice who is even more liberal. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Emberstone

they don't even have legal standing to appeal.

what a bunch of cloest case assholes. JUST COME OUT OF THE CLOSET, AND STOP SCAPEGOATING THOSE OF US NOT AFRAID TO BE OURSELVES BECAUSE YOU THINK IT MEANS NO ONE WILL QUESTION YOUR GAYNESS!!! YOU AREN'T HIDING AS WELL AS YOU THINK YOU ARE, PAT ROBERTSON!

15. Tim

Tim

Oh, they have legal standing to appeal.

But they need the governor or another equally as important person to do the appeal. Which, unless I missed something, neither governor - even Schwarzenegger, who was governor when it first happened, refused to do.

That's why they have 25 days to appeal. If they can get someone WITH the legal standing to appeal, they can appeal. If they don't, then it's done.

16. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is there really a massive likelihood of anyone even wanting to appeal. The way things are going, then that has the potential to ruin their reputation (if they had any to begin with)

17. AlamoCity

Republicans really hate the Supreme Court because it has not ruled their way on certain key cases. If they did, they would undoubtledy praise the Court as an example of why our Founding Fathers created lifetime tenured judges, how they're the guardians of democracy and the defenders of the Constitution etc. :rolle:.

They've been burned on several occasions:

Retired Justice David Souter was nominated by H.W. Bush but turned out to be more liberal than they thought (someone should learn to vet nominees)

Kennedy is a Reagan appointee, but has turned out to be liberal on some key issues (e.g. gay rights).

Roberts, while conservative, did uphold ObamaCare, which is a huge issue for conservatives.

18. Tim

Tim

They're trying. That's what this story was about. They wanted marriages stopped while they get someone who is able to appeal on board.

But I doubt any of them will, as you said, at this point, it'd ruin their reputation, and risk re-election.

19. Fiddledeedee

Hilfe, bitte? What does that bit mean?

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I was only referring to the Iowa Supreme Court case, just alluding to that. But as I said, I don't see it being possible. It would open a can of worms as said :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: