1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Why Does Talking About Creepers And Harassment Make People So Angry?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Dan82

http://www.popehat.com/2013/07/01/w...creepers-and-harassment-make-people-so-angry/

2. srslywtf

Maybe they're all repressed abuse victims...

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A creeper goes over to your house and blows it to smithereens. I would imagine people don't like creepers.

4. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wrong type of creeper...:dry:
    :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I find it much more likely they're all repressed abusers.

6. biggayguy

The irony is that abusers have usually been abused in their past.

7. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That

8. srslywtf

LOL!

That reminds me of a local road safety campaign recently. "Creepers" were people who just 'crept' over the speed limit.

They painted up the backs of buses to look like they'd been in an accident.. smoke coming out, all mangled up - and wrote on it "watch out for creepers" hahaha

9. Zontar

I think what makes people angry isn't legitimate claims toward harassment, but rather the gross exaggeration of the problem by activists scrutinizing anything that occurs to promote their cause.

I mean nobody actually supports sexual harassment (unless you're one of the damned crazy "loveshies") but what people don't support are dubious claims levied by radical activists that are blown completely out of proportion. Take, for example, the blog he links to where they post private messages of creepy men messaging women. I mean, the rest of us know that creepy men are everywhere. They've always been everywhere. They're also a laughable minority of men who, quite frankly, are viewed in the same respect as a dangerous village idiot. However, radical activists misrepresent this as some sort of large, national, conspiratorial, systemic problem that affects anything more than 2% of the male population. They effectively typecast entire communities as consisting largely of village idiots, but with no rational basis. They make mountains out of anthills.

Therefore I believe making a bleeding heart cause out of something that is effectively a nuisance is what gets people angry, not the fact that these people are ridiculing this minority of men. I mean, harassment happens. It's happened to me and people I knew. It's like many other types of crime, an everlasting nuisance perpetuated by a small minority of people who don't know how to behave. The majority of men, or even a plurality, are both not harassers and do not support the harassment of women. Effectively, these same activists are preaching to the choir, and in fact may be discrediting their perfectly valid cause by desperately clinging to relevance in an age of first-world racial, sexual, and women's liberation.

The fact that these same activists ignore real issues such as the role of religion in genuine systemic abuse of women in third world countries, and instead debate about something as meaningless and insignificant as the clothing of video game characters, tells me that they are increasingly misguided and misled by wealthy, privileged, suburban youth who have never seen what is truly important or what is truly an issue in this space. It's effectively a mockery of what combating real injustice actually is.

#9 Zontar, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  10. Owen

[TW: Rape]

Think again. Look at all the people who came to the defense of the Steubenville boys and accused the girl of ruining their lives. Look at the way colleges repeatedly refuse to give athletes who rape anything more than a slap on the wrist. Everyone I talk to who has ever been raped and tried to report it says that the system is stacked against them.

And that's how we defend rapists, nevermind sexual harassers.

There was recently a survey of college-aged men which asked them if they'd ever raped someone. The survey never used the word "rape"; it just gave a textbook definition of rape and asked the men if they'd ever done that. 6% of men admitted to raping someone. That's one in sixteen. If there are that many men out there willing to RAPE someone, the number who would be willing to harass a woman must surely be higher than your 2% figure.

Also, if a man won't respect a woman's "no" in messages, he probably won't respect her "no" in the bedroom. So no, these aren't anthills. They're symptoms of a much bigger problem.

Just because there are people out there who have it worse doesn't mean we can't try to address objectification in our own culture. Issues are issues, no matter whether you think they're big or small. (And the small issues are usually symptoms of a much bigger issue.) Frankly, your calling these issues "meaningless" and "insignificant" is a mockery of the real problems that cause those "meaningless" and "insignificant" issues: rape culture, patriarchy, etc. They're real, they're important, and we're not going to be able to address them in any meaningful way if attempts to do so are continually dismissed as you've done here.

11. sguyc

Well, technically a large majority of college males have "raped" if you consider rape to be having sex with someone who is under the influence of alcohol.

12. Owen

That too. (And for those who don't know, having sex with someone who's drunk IS legally defined as rape.)

13. srslywtf

Well in that case an even larger number of male college students have BEEN raped.