1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by joeyconnick, Apr 25, 2005.

1. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there... over the weekend did anyone find the "new posts" features and indication of new articles didn't work for them? Because I didn't check the forum over the weekend but when I click "New Posts," nothing showed up, which is silly since people obviously have posted over the weekend.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you log out or don't do anything in the forum for 15 minutes it marks all previously unread posts as read. Maybe you dropped in for a quick look then left without reading everything?

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can we change that/turn it off? Just because I look in on the forum doesn't mean I've read all the new posts. I don't log out but I certainly do look to see new posts but get around to reading them later. The described behaviour sounds really strange and is very frustrating.

4. hawkeye

I understand how this would make sense in a large board, like ### for example, when hundreds of posts are made a day, and its impossible to keep up on everything. It'd be great if this could be changed untill everything moves faster though.

5. goratrix

I use Firefox tabbed browsing, so I can open them all in background tabs. And I get a quick view of the posts. If they are long I bookmark it and leave it for later. And the short ones I just read...

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Unfortunately not. I use the software myself on another forum I run, and this "feature" annoys me too. But that's how the software is written, so we have to live with it.

The only thing that can be done is the timeout period changed.

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've checked on their forums (vBulletin's) and they're thinking about changing how this works in the next major version of the software (3.1). I can't believe it's coded the way it's currently coded... it's not at all what it says it is. *sigh*

I miss USENET. Everything was so much more elegant.

8. goratrix

you actually miss usenet? you are joking right? I know this isn't the eighth wonder of the world, but it beats the crap out of usenet groups any day.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I'm with Goratrix there.

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I totally prefer USENET. It was so easy, things displayed properly in threads, none of this "more replies below this level" shit that you can't turn off, and you could have properly keep track of whether you'd read something or not. Plus you could kill subthreads when they got way off topic, etc. This is definitely much PRETTIER but it's hardly anywhere near as functional.

11. goratrix

Technolgoy advances, this is a far more advanced technolgoy. It's true, it might not be as functional, but with some rss you can have somewhat similar funcionality.

Oh, and yeah, would you still use windows 98 se? Compared to WinXP... it was faster, more stable and nicer. Still, winxp is way better on security and other important stuff.

It's like saying: oh, I still use 2.2 because it worked better with ipchains, while 2.6 is more secure, stable and productive.

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, I think XP is definitely more stable than Win 98 SE. As for nicer, don't know about that.

Secondly, I'm all about technology and new technology advances. That doesn't mean that I would adopt new technology simply because it's new. It has to offer something more to make me want to use it over what I'm currently using. I don't care about smileys and rich text editing for written posts, and I think avatars and most people's sigs are superfluous.

Newsgroups are a very mature technology that you can do a lot of things with that you can't do with this particular software and some of those things are things I definitely feel the lack of. Saying that "newer is better" isn't any kind of argument. It's akin to saying "all teenagers are immature" or "all gay boys are flighty." Or maybe it's more along the lines of "this person is right simply because he's gay."

Whatever the case, more advanced software is not necessarily better software. Think Windows ME. :lol:

13. TriBi

Just as an aside, even on ### I don't always use the "new posts" feature.

Sometimes I prefer to look at posts forum by forum - and given that I usually know when I was last checking them out, it isn't hard to work out what are 'new' posts and what aren't.

Doesn't take too much effort to do things another way, if you think about it. :smile:

14. Micah

I tend to agree with TriBi on this one. I rarely use the new post feature - the forums dont move fast enough for me to need it anyway :grin:

15. goratrix

I never use the new posts feature. Still, bringin up winME is a big auch for microsoft...

Compare technologies USED by the software. For vbulletin you need what? apache plus php_mod? What do you need to run a Usenet server? Think of the resources each of them use? the workload. CPU times, think of all that.

Besides, Internet is going to XML, so why use old technolgoy when you can use a simple, STANDARD, markup language? I am not saying that usenet sucks and that we must burn all usenet groups. I'm just saying I like PHP better. And if this particular piece of software (vbulletin) doesn't use all it's potential, then it's a pitty, but since they seem to be planning to add that functionality on the next version... I wouldn't worry so much.