1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing the given gender options

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by TheUglyBarnacle, Aug 18, 2013.

?

Should the "ready" options given in the gender box be changed? (Transgender MtF/FtM)

1. Yes. (Please clarify what you'd like to see instead. )

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No, I'm okay with them.

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I don't care/I don't know

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. Other (Please specify.)

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. TheUglyBarnacle

From my thread here.

How do you guys feel about it? If you agree, what would you like to see used instead of "Transgender MtF/FtM"? If not, why?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I feel transman/transwoman would work well enough, especially for those of us who hate the terms "FtM" and "MtF".

Or we do what Hex does and have "Male (trans*)" and "Female (trans*)" so people can identify as true gender while making it clear, if desired, that they're transgender.

#2 drwinchester, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  3. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be fine with transman/transwoman or Transgender Male/Female. Granted, Transgender is a huge umbrella, but it's hands down better than FtM and MtF. I've always found those abbreviations to be outdated and rather condescending. I'm not a male. I've never been a male, nor do I have any interest in pretending to be one any longer to fit in. To label someone like me as "male to female" only furthers the belief that we were mentally our misidentified gender at some point. It's as goofy as labeling a cisgender guy "straight to gay" because he dated girls before coming out of the closet.

4. TheUglyBarnacle

So, we have:
    -Transman/Transwomamn
    -Male/Female (trans*)
    -Transgender Male/Female

Does anybody wanna add anything before I make a poll on which would be preferrable?

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like what Hex has. Male (trans*) or female (trans*)

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been so long since I put my gender in that I didn't realize that we had options other than "unspecified/unanswered" "male" "female" or type your own (what I've done)

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm all for Male/Female (trans*). It's simple, it conveys the message best, and it's not holding that ugly connotation that the terms FtM/MtF carry (like we're always stuck in a state of transition or suggesting that we were once never the gender we identify as). I'm not female to male, I've always been male. I'm just not cis, is all.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm game for Male/Female (trans*) as well.

9. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Heres the thing, i am new to this. Is a transman a MTF or a FTM?

Please keep these in place, i really need them, ill get used to it soon.
    (if you dont like it you can enter your own.)

Also, its not unique to this site, ive seen it almost everywhere with more than 2 genders in the catagory.

10. Gallatin

qwr42: transman = FtM, transwoman = MtF.

Let me just add that though I'm not trans*, for what it's worth, I like the "Male/Female (trans*)" that's been proposed.

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

FtM= female to male

MtF= male to female

^ Hate those terms, personally. I'm a transman so, yes, I would be an FtM using those terms since I'm female bodied and identify as male.

And officially throw my hat in the ring for Male (trans*) and Female (trans*)

12. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Alright fair enough. I suppose it isnt really my business anyways. Thank you for clarifying, change if you would like!
    Cheers!

13. BudderMC

^ QFT.

Not being trans* I wouldn't have thought of the impact saying FtM vs. transman would have, but it makes perfect sense now.

14. TacoswithJuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do have two sides:

1) If someone identifies as a woman/man, then how important is it to note that they are trans? Man means man, Woman means woman, And then there should be options for people who do not fit in the two sided box.

2) It can be confusing for a lot of people with so many different ways to say it. As a child, nobody explained it to me (too heavy for a 12 year old i guess??) so with all the different ways it is labeled I couldn't wrap my head around what it all meant. There needs to be one way of calling it and we need to stick to it.

Anyways, very noble thought that should be brought up more often :smilewave

15. BudderMC

From the support perspective, labelling everyone as man/woman makes it difficult for trans* users to engage in trans*-related discussions. I imagine a lot of people getting questioned on their authority on trans*-related issues if nobody was explicitly identified as trans* (ex. what do you mean I don't need to transition? You would know, you're a guy!). Additionally, it goes back to assuming everyone is cisgendered, which is a fault of our society.

Additionally, the proposed gender options only account for people who are transitioning from one gender to the opposite. However, the spectrum of gender identity is much broader and more complex than simply boxing people in as "man" or "woman". Having people identify as MtF/FtM seems more common around here than genderqueer/bigender/pangender/etc., and it would be a bit unnecessary to list options for every single possibility. Options adequately cover the most commonly seen identifications, and a customizable box covers the rest. :slight_smile:

16. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

This is actually why I prefer male (trans*) and female (trans*). Clears up need for often confusing terms (like FtM and MtF- both which have already mentioned negative connotations) but still, from a support perspective, makes it clear where someone's speaking from and makes it easier for transgender members to reach out to one another.

Don't think it's too hard to understand. Someone identifies as male so they're male but also want to make it clear they're trans*. Thus "male (trans*)" Besides. We're all about educating ourselves about proper terms, right?

Which begs me to mention, I can't tell you how many times I've said I'm a transman online and get asked if I still have my penis and if my breasts are implants. :dry:

I will say that the blank gender box is a saving grace. I mean, I'm a transguy so putting "Man, no question" came from grappling with doubt and finally deciding to own it. :wink: I might change it back to "Male (trans*)" eventually. But definitely allows people who either have a label not covered by the default list or who have a personal definition to make it clear who they are.

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that I like Male (trans*) and female (Trans*). If a trans* person wants to choose the male/female option, then there is nothing stopping them from doing that as well.

I think that we need to have some sort of option for genderqueer people as well. I think genderqueer would be a good option for a middle ground gender.

18. Fiddledeedee

"Genderqueer" is currently one of the standard options.

Using transman and transwoman would (a) also require transboy and transgirl as options because "man" and "woman" have age and maturity connotations, and (b) mean that the options not specifically for trans* people should be man/woman/boy/girl too (bumping us up to nine options instead of the current five). Therefore, I don't think they'd be so good.

Though they aren't the favored option so that's unlikely to come up anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ohh.. I guess I have not looked at it in a while.. (pounds face on keyboard.)

I don't see the transboy/girl thing being a problem. I mean, most trans* people go with male or female as their identity. So, I don't think that will be too much of a problem. If they want to go by transboy/girl there is still the blank box that they can fill in.

20. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Genderqueer is an option, but not androgyne, bigender, trigender or pangender. Nor Hijra, but I doubt very many people will identify as that. I asked in the other thread if those could be added, and nobody responded. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: