1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Threadstarter" and Anonymous threads

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by confuzzled82, Sep 9, 2013.

1. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have noticed over the past few weeks that the word "Threadstarter" shows up in bold below the username of the person who started the thread, but in the anonymous section, where most threads are started by someone posting anonymously, it shows under every anonymous post. I understand the admins can see who the individual anonymous posters are. Might there be a way for the forum to only tag the posts by the actual threadstarter in these threads? I can picture it being helpful to many to know which anonymous posts in the thread were made by the threadstarter, and which are other users. The way I'm thinking of this, it wouldn't compromise the anonymity of the anonymous post function, but would be helpful to know if we are answering their questions sufficiently.

2. Jonathan

I'm not sure if that would be possible. The "Threadstarter" title is placed on the user account that created the thread when they post in it. In the case of anonymous posting, everyone who makes an anonymous post is posting with the *same* user account (the anonymous account). Therefore, since it is the exact same account being used in each instance, there would not really be a way to distinguish one poster from another.

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK. I was under the impression that those posts were still tied to the user on the back end, and just had a flag on them causing them to show as anonymous. Makes sense that I don't get an edit button after posting anonymously if that is the case.

4. RainbowMan

Nope, vBulletin has no idea who the anonymous posters are. They're logged somewhere else that only admins have access to, FWIW (the post->user mapping).

However, I thought that hack was supposed to be disabled for all the anon forums, due to exactly that problem. I'll follow up with Martin :slight_smile:

EDIT: Actually it looks like this problem is confined to the Gender Identity anonymous subforum, which makes sense since it's new.

5. 2112

Would it be possible to add a thing to click on to make it show up on that post, like the thing to make the post anonymous?