1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion: Relationship Status

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by theskyiseverywhere, Oct 27, 2013.

1. theskyiseverywhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think that our accounts should have a relationship status option. I believe this would work well because it will avoid confusion in threads. I know this site is obviously not a dating site, but this will work because it will help people understand threads and posts. Just a suggestion(!)

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it was discussed by staff a while ago and it was decided that it wasn't right for EC. I'll look back to find details.

3. Bolin

Usually, if a post is about a romantic relationship, the original poster will post it in their first post in the thread they've created. I think if we were to add a "relationship status" to profiles, it would give it too much of a "date site" feel, which isn't what this site is for. It might also make it easier for people who are using the site specifically for that purpose, which is probably not what we want.

4. theskyiseverywhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Maddy for the reply!

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2013 at 11:20 PM ----------

Ok thank you! I understand now!

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a thread from 2009, from this section (not the staff area, of course), where it was discussed. The consensus was that there are plenty of other ways to make your relationship status known (like with moods, signatures or other areas of the profile), so there's no need for another category in the profile for it.

6. theskyiseverywhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok. Thank you so much for the reply!:kiss:

7. Wardrobe93

I think its a good idea but i can understand the hostility. I recommend that relationship status only be given to full members. Once someone is a full member they are obviously trusted that they're not using this as dating site.

What do you reckon?

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't see the need for it. If a member is talking about an issue involving a relationship, they make that clear. If they're not, then knowing their relationship status doesn't contribute anything (in most cases) to the discussion.

The only purpose I could see that a relationship status listing would have, full member or no, would be to indicate whether or not the member is "available" and that would, I think, prove too much of a temptation for people to use EC to look for single people, and that's something we've always discouraged because it would completely change the character of the site.

9. Wardrobe93

Fair enough chip,

At the end of the day the main reason I love,adore and admire this sight is because of its high security and unorthodoxy in comparison to any other LGBT sight