1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empty Closets Facebook?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by PookaciousOne, Nov 8, 2013.

1. PookaciousOne

Does Empty Closest have a Facebook page? I can't find it if you do

2. Incognito10

I have not looked for one as from what I gather, the site has strict policies regarding privacy (which is a good thing). For example, I know we may not post personal contact info. HOWEVER, I think there should be an area of the forum where members can post FB contact info or other social media contact. I have very few GLBT connections and would like to integrate some into my life, even if online thru social media. I would like to hear what the moderators think of possibly making it an option--those who desire strict confidentiality (as many on this site do who are not "out" yet) should certainly not participate; however, those who do want to expand their social network should be allowed to and this site would be a great catalyst. Ultimately, sharing of information should be a well-thought out decision and we take personal responsibility for doing so.

3. PookaciousOne

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

If I remember correctly, before the regular/full member system was put in place, there was a thread where people could post links to their Facebook profile. However, with the off-site contact info ban we have now, there's really no way to do it that would be in line with out current rules. Once you're a full member, if you want to swap Facebook contact info or any other contact info with other full members, you can do so via private messages.

5. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a better idea to leave the privacy system as is; EC isn't a social networking site and having a forum for sharing contact can be...a little dangerous, you know?
    (I'm talking about because there's creepy people who come on EC in attempts to hook up with other people which isn't what EC is for; I think that's why the privacy system is what it is right now.)
    If two people want to share contact, they just need to reach Full Member status and then they can PM each other (correct me if I'm wrong), which I personally believe is a much better idea than having a forum for it.

6. biggayguy

Couldn't there be an Empty Closet fan page on Facebook? We could tell people a bit about EC and have an invitation to join with a link.

7. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem with that is FB's open comments system.
    It would just add more for us to moderate.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're allowed to share off-site contact info with people individually via PM. We encourage being thoughtful in doing so and not just sending it out willy-nilly, to keep yourself safe.

It's been discussed many times. It's not going to happen. One of the things that makes EC the unique and safe community that it is is the concept that (if you're following our security policies) you can post here without worrying that creepers will be able to identify and pester you elsewhere. Once you post a Facebook link (or any other off-site contact), then a smart person would be able to use that information to personally identify you and that creates potential safety issues.

There are plenty of places on the Net where people can share contact information publicly. EC is not, and will not, be one of them.