1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion: section for parents of LGBT people

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by SemiCharmedLife, Nov 17, 2013.

1. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen a few posts recently from parents of LGBT people, and I think it would be awesome for them to have a distinct section of the forum for them to talk to each other and for other members to talk to them. It'd also be good for some of us LGBT members to be able to talk to people who are parents if we've got questions about dealing with our own parents.

Just my 2 cents. Seriously, this place is amazing and I'm so glad I've found it.

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the Family, Friends, and Relationships forum covers that area of support, and the forum description for it specifically mentions those peeps within it. :slight_smile:

It probably wouldn't be a wise idea at this point in time to separate that area of support and place it in a new section, as the activity isn't really there to sustain it. The biggest setback a forum can face is making a forum cover an area for a membership base that isn't well represented at that point in time. If we did create a section and it only got posted in a few times per day/week/month then potential members who wish to use it would be put off by the lack if activity and go elsewhere, thus undermining our ability to grow the section further.

It's a rather painful technique to do, especially if you identify as being in that group which lacks a 'base'. It's unfortunate that it took EC quite a long time to develop its gender identity support (and even now it's primarily forum-based), but by following the technique outlined above we've eventually reached a point where we could ultimately give it its own section. I imagine you'll see this happen further over the years as we continue to grow. :slight_smile:

Martin.

3. suninthesky

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for the gender identity section! I do think a couple years ago I would've been sad if there was the section and no one posted, but it's great to have it now. =D

4. Lolachan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Martin,
    I agree, having a separate forum with a small base would poorly serve the people who wanted advice and needed help.

What if.....you created a forum "spot" (sorry, I don't know the techy words) with some stickies/articles for newcomer parents to read first. Ideally, a parent, upon reading those, would know whether to post in the Coming Out forum or the Friends and Family forum, or what have you.

It would also provide a whole lot of information right off the bat for someone new here, and perhaps desperate for answers, without them waiting for a few responses in a forum. Perhaps you could link other, older, (closed) threads with examples of typical issues (if there are such things).

As you can see, I haven't been in this forum very long, so this is just a newbie opinion.

5. Silver Sparrow

I think that a sticky for parents might be a good idea.

6. Fiddledeedee

Hm. We have a "for parents" page about EC itself, which goes into this being a safe site and so on. What about creating a second page like that less about EC and more about having an LGBT kid?

7. Lolachan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh yes, please.

And tell us where to post when we know, but they haven't come out, or they've come out but not to everyone, or they just got their heart broken.

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone