1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

emptyclosets app

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by person57, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. person57

While this is pretty unlikely, amazon might start working on an emptyclosets app. I had a pretty long chat with an amazon employee, and I suggested that they make an emptyclosets app so that more LGBT people would know about emptyclosets and that more LGBT people can get the help and support they need. The amazon employee said he is going to tell the app department about my suggestion. Also, Amazon is very LGBT friendly so it could happen. Amazon also usually grants requests when a lot of people request it. I want you guys to do me and other LGBT people a favor and contact amazon and suggest that they make an emptyclosets app. To contact amazon, go to amazon.com, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Help". Then you will be taken to the help and customer service page. You'll find a button on that page that says “Contact us". Once you click on that, you'll be taken to the contact us page. The contact page provides you three ways to contact amazon, you can call them, email them, or have a live chat with an amazon employee. I recommend the live chat because its the fastest and easiest way to contact amazon and provide feedback. It would be great if you guys contacted amazon. It would mean a lot to LGBT people who need help and support.

2. UndercoverGypsy

Is it really necessary, though? If the staff really wanted to, they could easily make the site mobile friendly; it runs on vBulletin, and vBulletin has a mobile suite.

Not to mention that they could use something like Forum Runner to make a custom app cheap.

3. person57

Well, yeah it kinda is necessary. If emptyclosets had an app, more LGBT people would know about emptyclosets and more LGBT people can get the help and support they need.

---------- Post added 29th Nov 2013 at 06:37 PM ----------

And also, making the site mobile-friendly is not the same as making an app for the site

4. tallygirl1128

I kinda agree that it is necessary. If anything, it would be more helpful. I personally think that it is a great suggestion that should at least be taken into account before it is thrown out.

5. person57

Yeah, I also think its a great suggestion. So are you going to contact amazon? It would really help if you did and it could increase the chance of Amazon making an EC app.

6. UndercoverGypsy

First off, I was more saying that Amazon don't need to do it when there are so many routes to take for vBulletin mobile optimization. As far as I know the site works fine on mobile browsers, anyways. Also there's the fact that the app marketplace is an extremely unlikely place to find success.

That said, good for you for taking initiative.

7. Techno Kid

I kinda like this idea. :slight_smile: Would not Amazon be better able to spread the word out further, thus allowing more people to be helped by EC?

8. biggayguy

Have you spoken with the EC Admin. people about this? They may have legal reasons that this isn't already done. Licensing Amazon to use the EC logo for one thing. I do think it's a good idea. It just needs to go through the right channels.

9. person57

First off, the fact that the site works fine on mobile browsers is not what I'm talking about and that's not my point. Second off, a marketplace is a likely place to find success. A lot of people have mobile devices and get their apps from the marketplace.

10. UndercoverGypsy

Fair point. They probably could, by which means I'm not sure.

11. person57

No, I haven't spoken to the EC admin about this. Who is the EC admin? I'll try to talk to them.

12. UndercoverGypsy

I know it's not what you're talking about, but it's worth noting. Apps aren't meant to be another form of advertisement, they're meant to simplify things, and in this case, things that are already as simple as a web browser. Also, the marketplace is actually a really rough place. There are hundreds of thousands of apps on the app store (I think it's somewhere around 750k), and an comparatively tiny amount have become successful.

Also forgot to mention that closeted people might not want an app that pretty much outs them right then and there on their phone.

13. person57

Well, sometimes apps do get featured on the marketplace. Also, if ec was an app, it would be a great app. So it could be successful. Also, saying that closeted people might not want the app because it outs them right then and there on their phone is just like saying that closeted people might not want to go on the site because it outs them right then and their on their computer. Some people hide their computer and hide the stuff on their computer, just like how some people hide their phone and hide the stuff on their phone.

14. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The possibility of an EC app has been brought up many, many times. And while it's not out of the question, if it is created it will be by the admin team or someone we take on to develop it. It's not the place for our users to try and make something happen without any kind of staff consultation.

15. person57

Yeah, I was planning to talk to the Admin about this. So who is the admin?

16. UndercoverGypsy

Yeah, but when you have an app on your phone it is displayed really blatantly. Anyone could look over your shoulder and see that you have the EC app. Finding out that someone's going on a specific site on their computer is a lot less likely, unless they're purposely snooping in your history; and I'd be willing to be the majority of people on EC use incognito anyways.

As for featuring on the marketplace, Google and Apple don't like to take very strong political stances - they're corporations, and if corporations have opinions on things like human rights, they lose customers.

17. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your best bet is to post in Ask the Staff. The admin team is Chip, Martin, Mirko, Gravity and BudderMC, with Owen and I as admin assistants.

However, please be aware that the creation of an EC app is not your decision to make. Leave it up to the staff instead of trying to push it behind our backs.

18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not trying to bump this thread I'm linking or anything, but I feel like it would be a good indicator on the nessecity of an EC app and see if it's a feasible idea. So if you could please go vote: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/116905-how-do-you-access-ec.html

Anyways, I think an app would be a great idea if enough people would use it. Especially if it would make EC more mobile device friendly.

19. biggayguy

There's an Ask The Staff section here on the forum where you can post ideas like this. They will tell you what they are doing or have done about your idea. Apparently they have discussed it and decided not to do it at this time.

20. person57

Yeah, and when your using EC on the computer anyone can go behind you and see that you are on EC. And when you use the app, you just have to use it in a place where nobody can look over your shoulder. And trust me, it is likely that someone will find out your going to a specific site on the computer, Unless if you delete your history. You always keep your phone to yourself so that nobody else can use it and go through your phone. Also, you should go to the security settings on your mobile device and creat a password/code etc. so that nobody has access to your phone. And sometimes marketplaces do take strong political stances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.