1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we get notifications when people reply to a post of ours?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Skaros, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's been over a year since I was using another vBulletin forum, and it had a completely different format. Then I joined another forum, with XenForo, and I've gotten used to another forum that gives us notifications whenever someone replies to a post. Is there an option on here that lets us enable that? Or is it not available at all on vBulletin? If I can't enable the notifications for that, would the staff be able to add that option to the forum? I don't see any problems if it can be enabled/disabled.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you look at the top of the thread you will see a box marked "Thread tools" where you can subscribe to a thread and set up email notifications if that's what you mean.

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mmm I guess every forum is different. Thanks, I'll try this.

4. Emulator

What if when someone quotes your reply?

I usually find all posts and search the next few pages of a thread to see if anyone quoted. Not 100% proofed, though.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a feature that's on our development list. Unfortunately the available hacks out there that allow quote notifications don't work based on usergroup permissions, which would be problematic for a variety of reasons on here. For example, if you reported a member for whatever reason then that post report (which is sent to us under your ID and quotes the post being reported) would appear on there Who Quoted Me? list, so it would allow them to see who is reporting them. It's a major flaw we need to iron out before we can have the feature implemented here. :eusa_doh:

6. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you tried contacting the creator of the modification? Seems like an issue like that would be fixed fairly quickly. I use several other VB sites which have quote notifications and there isn't a problem like that.

7. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We haven't tried to contact the creator directly, but the reviews/feedback that can be given for hacks has it documented as a problem that people would like fixed. Unfortunately, the hack itself is about 3 years old and is two versions behind vBulletin's most recent product version, so the support for such hacks is becoming increasingly more difficult to get.

Are the other websites you're familiar with using a Who Quoted Me? feature, or a similar feature that is more like Twitter's version of user tagging? I've seen the latter used which appears to be a useful alternative, but I've never really looked into it too much as the version I know of is a premium modification and EC's organisational situation with funding and accountancy is still a work in progress.

One thing I'm also mindful of is that there's a discussion going on with EC's board about how to handle future upgrades to the site software. One option we're looking into is whether to move away from vB and to another forum provider, so any features we add potentially creates more work for us in future when we make a decision on what to do. At the very least we need to consider moving towards a more recent vBulletin version, but the reviews for vB5 seem universally negative, so we're weighing our options. That's not to say that no new features are being installed whatsoever, but the ability to migrate them over to a new version or software is something we need to be mindful of too.

8. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ahh yeah, I see. It would be tough getting a fix for an unsupported mod for an outdated version then without fixing the code yourself. And I wouldn't be able to say what mod in particular is used on the sites I use, but one of them is using the same VB version that EC is running. The control shows up in the "Edit Options" part of user settings and looks like this. I'm not sure if you'd be able to tell by looking at it if it's the same or not.

And that's interesting that you're considering different softwares. I've administered several Invision Power Board (IPB) forums and can vouch for that bigtime, many key features such as quote notifications are built in and there's a huge resource of free modifications available directly on their client site which are supported for most of the major releases. But yeah, i've tried out demo boards for VB5 and can't say I'm a fan of it myself.

9. Emulator

Oh :/ That would be nice to have, though. Maybe vB has different mods for quote notifications? I've seen them on other vB forums too...