1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are full memberships still being granted?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by HuskyPup, Feb 26, 2014.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not to be naggy, but I was just wondering. I applied three months ago, and consider myself to have behaved pretty well! There's a few folks I'd feel more comfortable talking about things in private, mainly financial things, being gay and poor, substance issues, other matters I feel odd about in the open, but don't just wanna be Mr. anonymous about.

So I noted I haven't really seen any new full members, and was wondering if my application is still pending, and how long it might take. I fully understand the need to be careful, and was just wondering.

Thanks,

H. Pup

#1 HuskyPup, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

I submitted my request well over a month ago, and have pretty much assumed that either it's been denied, or full memberships are just not being granted anymore maybe due to some change in policy. I can see from an admin point of view how having everyone messaging privately, would drastically reduce the volume of public threads being posted, and if you don't have constant flow of threads, traffic will slow down... it's a chain reaction.

I like providing my brand of unsolicited advice, but having to be so generic, eventually makes me sound like a broken record -I think I have repeated myself several times on different threads- so at one point I'll feel like I'm not making any contributions, and just stop posting. In the end, however, when I signed up, I had to accept terms and conditions of use, so I have to abide by them, and if I didn't like them, I shouldn't have signed up. Oh well...

3. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Three months seems like it could have been skipped over accidentally, but my understanding is that the wait time is currently around a month. I'm pretty sure you are notified regardless of whether you're approved or not so I wouldn't read anything into it.

4. setnyx

i've been waiting since jan 26 th and nothing. nice to know it's not just me. i was beginning to take it personal. i have a friend on here i would like to find out why he's sad but can't because of this issue. wish they would let us know already. maybe it's a paid feature now?

5. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I feel like a jerk because I applied for mine a little bit after I saw HuskyPup's thread http://emptyclosets.com/forum/empty-closets-help-feedback/120004-time-become-full-member-after-submitting-request.html
    And I got accepted as a full member on the 8th of February.

It seems to me they read all your posts. So if you have upwards of 1000 posts it may take some time?

That's my best guess.

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2014 at 10:31 PM ----------

It's not a paid feature. The staff members are volunteers I believe. non profit.

6. Gen

Gen

HuskyPup's situation was indeed a special occurrence. We might not all receive our notifications as swiftly as we may wish, but three months without a response is definitely not a commonality and one would be completely justified in notifying the staff should things seem to go too far. From my review, there are only a couple of applications that were submitted over a month ago and are still in evaluation. Those that have reached a month or are nearing a month will plausibly receive notification very soon.

The wait is based on concentration of applications and availability of staff. A longer wait does not mean a decline is in the works; nor does a short wait mean that the staff likes you more.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had like 1000 posts when I finally was accepted and it took me over a month I think it was to be accepted. But if you recall what the staff has said, they are understaffed and cannot review everyone all the time.

8. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Eh, I highly doubt that would be a reason for admins deciding to stop granting Full Membership. As a long-time Full Member, I rarely use Private Messaging, and in no way does Private Messaging take the place of the public forum. People came here to join a forum to talk to a bunch of people, not just to have private chats with certain people. And the people who joined just for the latter reason, for the wrong reasons, I gather aren't likely to be approved for Full Membership.

9. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do they notify you if they accept or decline your application? I applied like a week ago.

10. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We will notify you no matter what the outcome. However, if it's an extreme case such as the one mentioned earlier in the thread where it has been >3 months without a response get in contact with us.
    Otherwise assume we received the application and are reviewing it.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ---------- Post added 27th Feb 2014 at 03:43 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
    OK, I just did. Hope to get a PM soon, explaining things better, and what I did wrong, specifically.

12. laurenc

laurenc Guest

just wondering what would cause someone to be denied? I would like to apply to be a full member some day when I can fufill all the requirements and really would like to know if I should see about the fate of my membership at that point

13. laurenc

laurenc Guest

sorry for asking

14. Jared

Wow such a long wait now. When I submitted my application a few years ago it was like two days.

15. Gen

Gen

Don't be sorry, I'm sure it unfortunately just went unnoticed.

Not meeting the standard requirements would cause an automatic decline, but other than that the process is largely an evaluation of contribution and character. Character, as in maturity and respectfulness, not as much individual personality. In general, as long as you have exhibited a presence on the site in which the entirety of your presence is not simply in the Welcome Lounge or F&Gs and haven't received warnings in regards to your activity or conduct as of yet, you would likely have a great chance.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, this is true. I don't know what the relative tilt of forum posting, wall use, and PM use is. If a person only used the latter two, and did not post much, then it would seem more like they were here to make friends than to post on the general forum. That said, I find the amount of conversation, and detail, seen on the walls to be uncomfortable for my style. Most people here are able to tell who they may resonate with or have things in common with and limit their PM activity to a few select people, so that the more private aspects of their personae can be shared without having them up for mass consumption.

In that regard, I see what HuskyPup is saying. And I do enjoy his posts, though our viewpoints and life experiences are probably quite different in a lot of areas.

17. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I'm wondering the same thing. I applied one or two (I don't remember very well) months ago and I'm not replying only in the Chit Chat or in the Welcome Lounge. So what to say, I'm still waiting :slight_smile:

#17 FireSmoke, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  18. Yep, I think we just have to be patient. :slight_smile: what's the rush? EC's a great site to be part of either way.