1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Separate Bisexual Forum?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by softsprite, Mar 7, 2014.

1. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    Is there a separate bisexual forum I'm not seeing here? And if not, can there be one?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What benefit would that bring?

We don't have a specifically gay, lesbian, pan, asexual, demisexual or any-other-kind-of-sexual forum...it's just 'sexual and romantic orientation'

3. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, there is a separate forum concerning gender identity.

Perhaps a separate forum for asexuality would be good too.

Pansexuals, demisexuals and bisexuals are to me in the same "family" of orientations. That could be a separate forum.

I just think that while we share a lot of issues, there are some issues that are distinct to each of these identities.

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Bisexuals and pansexuals are in the same 'family' as homosexuals. Queer sexual orientations. ("Demisexual" is not a sexual orientation). I don't see why there is need for a separate bi forum.

5. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Things are diverse enough. When I was here last year they had gender identity and orientation still as one single forum.

Sides, that is like taking the minority of the minority. Gay, lesbian, and bi outnumber less heard of sexualities such as asexual, demi, and pan.

I think it would hurt people. Limit the amount of reach they have in the community.

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Seperate subforums, actually.
    This is all one forum.
    (So the sections actually labeled "subforum" are subforums within a subforum.
    Subforum-ception.
    No, that idea is pointless and would probably require an entirely new section.

7. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Wait so like is a subforum how inside the "Anonymous" forum you have "Anonymous Physical and Sexual Health", "Anonymous Gender Identity", and "Anonymous Sexual and Romantic Orientation"?

8. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is my view, and not the view of the staff as a whole.

One of the main reasons that I love EC is that we are not over-segmented. There are many other sites that have a million subforums and to me, it feels a bit overwhelming. I think that smaller amount of sections here make a better community. I think that community is really important here, since we are focused on support and advice.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a bisexual, I don't really think we need a separate subforum for multisexualities. While we do have issues separate from trans or gay/lesbian folks, there's more that's the same than that's different.

I think pretty much all conversations that matter "just to us" are pretty much conversations about hatred of multisexualities or conversations about polyamory. Both of those are issues where I don't want to see gay, lesbian, and trans folk excluded from the arena.

I would settle for people to just stop posting biphobic trash...

Fortunately, we haven't had too much of that lately. I remember when it was a regular occurrence.

11. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree. I know that if there were a separate bisexual forum I probably wouldn't click into it very often since I consider myself gay and would miss out on some potentially interesting threads. Obviously there are some situations that I may not be able to relate to, but I don't really see the benefit of dividing all of the posts up even further.

Besides, with the amount of different labels that I've seen for sexual orientations on here we could end up with a pretty massive list of sub-forums. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also concur with Brad. When we made the last major changes, some time ago, it was after a very long and involved process including a member survey and analysis of posts in various areas, and then a lot of discussion among the staff and admins.

When we oversegment, we can actually decrease member activity, and as Brad's pointed out, it can be detrimental to the overall sense of community.

The only exception we've made in recent times was the addition of the "parents, friends, and family" section, which was done in an effort to actively attract and welcome family members, since the existing forums didn't make it immediately obvious that this community was actively welcoming to family members.

I speak only for myself and not for staff, admins, or board, but I feel like we've got a pretty good balance between enough segmentation to keep related topics together, and few enough sections that it doesn't feel overwhelming.

13. Hexagon

I don't think it's necessary or helpful. As a community, the queer community needs to become less, not more divided, and as a forum, monosexuals can usually contribute to conversations started by a multisexual, and viceversa. We aren't that different, you know. If there really is a need to identify a thread as being about bisexuality, it can always be identified in the thread title.

14. Yosia

I think its good thats its all in one~ i think it makes people feel like they are different to other LGBTQ+ people and dont belong with them if it is all spread across >.<

15. Emulator

If there is really a need to distinguish bisexual threads then it could be made a thread prefix as well as gay and lesbian, but otherwise not a necessity in my opinion

16. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This.

Putting "bisexual" or whatever in the thread title is enough to attract or discourage as needed.

I'm reminded of shopping on Amazon and having to go to three different departments to find a particular item (it could have been Automotive, Electronics, or Sports). It wouldn't let me sort by price until I picked a department, so I had to do it three times, and then still wondered if I missed some.

17. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks all!

I agree that segmentation is bad for the community. I just wonder if there are some young people who are uncomfortable coming here because of biphobia from elsewhere. This is not a biphobic place though, so it shouldn't matter. Sorry bout that.

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Without being specific, I am beginning to prefer the term "sexual minority" more and more, rather than more "in the know" words.

That said, I don't believe in oversegmentation either.

I think some biphobia or doubt about bisexuals does exist here, but I don't let it bother me. The reason I bring this up is because of how honest people have been in saying they used it as an intermediate point en route to coming out as gay or lesbian. Not only that, some celebrities have admitted doing the same thing, of which Elton John comes to mind.

The important thing is for people here to reserve judgment. You can suspect all you want with people here and elsewhere. However, you'll never know how the truth with some and, with many others, someone's blended sexuality isn't easy to dissect since it's not a neat pie chart.

I have only one thing I find pungent toward this whole dismissive attitude that a bisexual is automatically gay or lesbian and that's the sole interest in "got us another one" to build up the numbers so someone feels better. It's not about YOU. They're people. They're not statistics.

19. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I like the term "sexual minority" as well.

I suppose in any community there are two (often conflicting) goals: one, to provide a safe space in which people can find a home; and two, to find consensus of some sort and present a consistent message to those outside of the community. I think the general LGBT community is in conflict about bisexuality because at the same time that the movement needs numbers (and bisexuals make up half of all sexual minorities, by some calculations), bisexuals seem less "presentable" to the outside world than other sexual minorities. "Boy meets boy and brings him home for dinner" might be easier for mom to handle than "boy meets girl then boy then girl then boy," right? I get it.

In-community it's ok to "air one's dirty laundry"--to talk about ways in which stereotypes are occasionally accurate, to discuss problems that we might not want exposed outside of the community. So...I guess some bisexuals might be concerned that if they openly disclose some of the stickier messes (no pun intended) they get into relationship-wise or in terms of mental health, they will be confirming to the larger LGBT community the basis for the mythologies they wish to dispel. Not to mention of course making this whole matter of sexual orientation look much more complicated and mystifying to the confused mother of some gay boy just coming out.

Ah. My head hurts. Enough of this.

Thanks for the conversation!

20. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    +1. That's the problem with other forums out there. It's like a website with a webmaster that doesn't know what they want people to be discussing.

Another reason a bisexual/polysexual form doesn't need to exist is because when people aren't sure on their orientation, they wouldn't know where to post. Let's take my case for example. I'm not sure if i'm bi, gay or other. If I post in bisexual and they tell me i'm gay then that post would be less relative.

Going back to the title thing, you could always have title prefixes like they have for news but that isn't really necessary either in my opinion.