1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

editing posts

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by scub, Aug 3, 2014.

1. scub

why is there a such a short time limit in editing your posts? i posted something and 10 mins later i came back to the thread and noticed i had several typos but i couldn't edit it. i think people should be allowed more time to edit their stuff, it's their content they are posting.

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this, especially in threads where we have huge debates with essay-long posts. More time on editing posts might help clear up some things that were wanted to get across, but failed because of the time in editing the post.

3. Jonathan

One of the main reasons that the edit timer is on a short duration is to support an EC security policy. As you may have noticed if you ever had to look at the major eyesore that is the yellow banner, EC takes the sharing of personal identifying information very seriously. So much so that any offense is a guaranteed ban. The short post edit time is there in attempt to prevent people from sharing contact information with others in a thread and then trying to edit it out sometime later so they don't get in trouble.

Also, you can always preview your post and read through it however many times you want before actually submitting. Not saying that errors still won't slip by, but it's just another tool to use.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We understand the issue, but it's a part of our security policy, so it's not something that's going to change. I write some fairly long posts, and so I definitely understand the concerns.

Unfortunately, there's no way to allow editing of posts without also opening the door to post, for example, contact information and then take it down before a mod notices. So it's not something that's going to change.

Edit: Jonathan beat me to it :slight_smile:

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing to add to what the two distinguished gentlemen above said is that if there's something you really want edited, you can just ask a mod.