1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The lonely folks of ec really ought to get together.

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Damien, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thread after thread I hear of folks who are lonely here, and who find that they want to just meet up with and talk, get to know, hang out with other lgbt folks, which the gay bar scene doesn't support (seems to be mostly about casual encounters). I just thought, really the full members of ec would be able to arrange, among themselves, and via PM, to meet up in some kind of social gathering, just to break the isolation a bit, yes? This does not apply to me as I'm not a full member, but I'm putting it out there as a suggestion for all those who are. So many nice yet lonely folks here, surely there's a way they can all meet each other, just for a social gathering one day, surely? A dinner or something. Just an idea.

2. Yosia

I dont like big social gatherings, i like 3 people maximum. ^.^

3. FrenchKid98

I think that's a pretty cool idea although that wouldn't apply to me yet as I'm not 18 (unless there are other teens on EC living in Luxembourg (able to go out at 16) in which case that'd be fun)
    One thing though: the rules states that you must not share on EC any way to personally identify and contact yourself. But I read somewhere on the site that one or two couples met each other on the site and some members became friends so I believe there is a tolerance for private messages.

4. Fallenlunatic

Japan (a foreigner unfortunately. A lot harder)
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Come and get me here in Japan, please I'm begging you xD

But srsly tho, I'd really like to meet some of you guys one day.

5. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sure you can schedule something at a pride parade. You don't have to share any personal information; you just attend. Maybe someone can make a "EC PEOPLE HERE" sign or something, although I'm not sure if that would be against the rules either.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Only if you agree, we all stay at your house, Damien.

LOL.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our major issue with this idea is that this site is open to people who are underage. To have an online discussion basically stating "there will be a bunch of lonely underage who are questioning their sexuality getting together" might prove very attractive to some less-than-savory characters.

Lex

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lex (as usual) has really gotten to the core of the issue. Even though it would be limited to full members, we have thus far been pretty reluctant to have any sort of in-real-life meetups, and (at least for now) EC and its parent ECCS are focused primarily toward online support.

It is possible that as we grow and form relationships with bricks-and-mortar organizations (LGBT centers, etc) that these sorts of opportunities will become possible, but for the moment it is not something that is really on our radar.

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What if there was a moderator there at the get together would could oversee everything and make sure it is safe?

10. burg

thats a idea i think ec should really think more about:thumbsup:.things like connecting members online with local support workers online .i imagine would help many people find a safe and far less stressful way to enter lgbt communities and groups.to often i see members struggle with making the leap to join these groups.having ec take more of a safe platform role i feel is a good strategy.

11. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This seems like a really good idea, BUT ec members are from all around the world I think, just throwing it out there we should post a 5 sec video of every existing member showing thier love of EC! I would

12. Yosia

How about, this sort of relates to the 'what if we all lived in the same house' topic, all the staff kidnap us all and take us to a giant mansion somewhere? ^.^

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That has been considered before, and we wouldn't rule it out. And likely there will be some situations in the future where something like this could happen. But it isn't in the works at present.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look if you've met someone you want to meet in person then get full status and exchange information if you feel comfortable doing so.

I've met people from EC in person. But they are people I've known a long time on here.

Use caution guys.

15. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you everyone for your remarks, and for the admin folks who clarified that, although I could happen at some stage, there are reasons it isn't as yet. It's just that we've all seen post after post of what seem to be genuine, nice folks who are all achingly lonely, and it just seems so obvious that they ought to at least meet up irl if possible, and safe, to do so. Anyway I really did say this for the benefit of others here, because not only am I not even a full member, I have not as yet met one single other person on this site who says they come from Melbourne, so it wouldn't even apply to me, anyway.

I guess that what happens is largely unofficial - some full members no doubt end up getting to know each other irl via PM's, but not in any structured way. I just feel for all the lonely folks, I mean I'm one of them so I know what it's like and how it can wear one down as time drags on, to just be alone, day after day.

Anyway thank you all, the issue has been clarified for me, for now.

16. anonym

anonym Guest

I would love to meet people in person but we're from all around the world so it doesn't seem likely to get us all in one place at one time

17. Vaettfang

That would be nice.
    But my parents never let me go anywhere on my own. ;~;