1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EC Convention?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by EDMJunkie, Nov 7, 2014.

1. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey!

So, I've been thinking, why not have a convention for EC users that allows them to actually meet their friends in real life! Wouldn't that be awesome? Just imagine, thousands of people getting to interact, it would be wonderful. You might even be able to bunch it together with other LGBTQ forums/organizations/events.

Now I know that there would be many problems for that, of course. Stuff like security and just planning it could take tons of time. But I think most users might enjoy it. If you want, we could always open a thread, take a poll, and discuss it with other users.

I would appreciate it if you could respond and tell me what you guys think.

Many thanks,

Cyrus

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's an awesome thought, and I once had a dream that we had a big get-together, but obviously because of security reasons it's probably not possible.

3. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I think that would be the only problem. There are people who are at a geographical disadvantage and can't attend, and then there's people who aren't out and want to go, but can't. But I still think it should be considered a teensy bit.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! While it is a wonderful idea, due to the nature of Empty Closets, as well as its security and personal privacy rules and regulations needed to keep EC a secure site and community, it would be impossible to have such a get together.

5. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *Sigh* Yeah, I know. Perfectly understandable reasons. I just thought it would be nice to see if such a thing were even possible.

Thanks anyways!

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll differ a little with Mirko, in part because I've never liked absolutes.

Yes, there are concerns with regard to safety and security. But as the organization grows and begins to partner with bricks-and-mortar organizations, there are inevitably going to be situations in which it might be possible for EC members to meet up. Our recent co-promotion of the workshops operated by The Quest in England are a good example of that.

So I agree with Mirko that for the foreseeable future, the potential problems make it all but impossible to plan something. I do, however, foresee a possibility that as the organization matures and partners with other organizations, there may be additional opportunities for EC members to meet one another in real life.

7. Images and Words

This wouldn't be a good idea for me because you would all notice that I can't talk to you and that I smell a bit funny.
    That is all

8. person57

I think it would be a great idea!!! :grin:

9. shinji

shinji Guest

I think that... my opinion is kind of irrelevant in this situation due to both the current circumstances and the fact that if something did happen, you'd probably make it on US soil, which is... somewhat problematic.

All this being said, i am somewhat confused about, the actual activities that would be present at such a gathering.

10. Burnedcloset

This would be awesome. I might not be able to go if it wasn't near me but, it's certainly something I've already thought about before.

I want to meet you guys in real life even though I haven't known you all for that long.

If a convention was being held one hour from me, I would finangle a way to go even if it was for 10-20 minutes

11. RAdam

12. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I like this idea :slight_smile: