1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Username's

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by george678, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. george678

Hi,
    I think all staff and advisors should be in bold because we often have a few members on and it can take time to find a staff's username!.
    Thanks George

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    George,

links to the staff's profiles can be found on the "Forum Leaders" page, which can be accessed by clicking on the corresponding link at the bottom of the forum list, that is, above the list of currently online members.

I hope this is of some help.
    Fred

3. george678

I know but They have it at other places,I just think it will be useful.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Our positions are also under our names in larger text and different colour to everyone else.

Like "Empty Closets Admin" under mine to the left...

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure how necessary it is really. I have seen it in effect before, but here we try and minimise any difference of rank. This is difficult enough with the whole Regular/Full member conflict. The last thing we need is to start tweaking the staff usergroup to make them appear different from the users.

If peeps thought it was necessary then I wouldn't have any objections to it, but I like the fact we appear as normal members (not including the post title) and aren't screaming our rank in peoples faces. We like to be members to ya know. :grin:

6. Zak

Zak

^ "We like to be members to ya know"

The to is actually too Martin.

Uhh, well idk, their name is standing outish much and if you are here for a while, then you learn every staff members name. :wink:

7. Derek the Wolf

i personally don't think it would make much of a difference. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

8. george678

Ok thanks for your opion

9. Micah

Forgive me if I'm way off the bat (or if you already realised this) but I believe george678 is referring to the "Who's online" pane on the forum homepage.

[​IMG]

Any Mods or advisors' names would be in bold. This would make it easier to contact them if something goes wrong and a user needs to contact a mod who is currently online.

10. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I know, the only way to make it bold on the who's online? list is by making the username bold everywhere on the site. It is something Paul would need to confirm or deny, but I am not aware of a way to make usernames bold on the online list without making their username bold on the forum too.

Making the staff have bold names isn't something I am against. I am just not sure how necessary it is right now as the forum is still relatively small in size, and it would be pretty difficult for anybody not to be able to find us. My only concern is that stuff like this can cause gaps to appear between the staff and members making the staff appear as one clique. At the moment we have a title under our posts that tell us we are staff, but apart from that we just appear as normal members like everybody else. I would even say that how it is now helps us moderate efficiently as we are no different to normal members. If we started having bold titles and/or other tweaks to our accounts then it's not difficult to see why somebody would see us as being a clique, and that might cause them to think we are trying to make ourselves different from the other members and stand out as being important.

I am not against the idea of going bold if it helps people. I just don't want it being something that makes others think we are trying to make ourselves stand out above the crowd and appear as the elitists of the forum.

11. george678

Yes it is!
    Thats fine i feel it is better for new users or new users to forums for that matter if they click on a bold user they see it is a mod or advisor etc that what i felt was wrong with the forum administration side of things.
    (It is possible).
    Thanks
    :thumbsup:

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

This sounds like a lot of work for very little benefit to me. It would involves editing templates with lots of conditional stuff (so that things depend on usergroups) and HTML to change the way names are displayed etc, for every different place we want the change. Then whenever we change usergroups it would all need editing to bring it into line again. I see no real benefit, when you can just click on the Forum Leaders link and see who has a green light (indicating they are online).

13. Zak

Zak

Sounds kinda complicated for such a small problem.

14. Urman

Urman Guest

there are very simple vb mods that can do this for you with out editing the templates

15. george678

16. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Looking through this thread it seems like there is one or maybe two people who want this. Hardly a high demand and not worth the bother IMO.

17. george678

Well I am saying it is better for new members to know who is who.

18. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I reckon it'd be a good idea to bold mod/admin users on the 'who's online' thing as well. Simply so it's easy to know which mods/admins are online if the need arises that we need to contact one in regard to a problem or something.

^^; Because I've been here for over a year and I still can't remember who's a mod here.. Just a few of them I can remember lol.

I know doing so using Simple Machines Forum is easy as it's a feature built in, but I guess that isn't the case with vBulletin.

19. george678

You can do it in vbulletin.

20. pirateninja

I realise that it would mean that people could see which staff is online with just a glance, but there honestly seems no point. The only point I can see here is that it saves people clicking on "View forum leaders". And if someone has a problem, I'm sure they won't mind clicking on one more measly link to find a member of staff to talk to.

It's not so much a point of "It can be done, so do it", it's a point of "Is it really that necessary?" and I don't see why it's so necessary.

How aboot an easier solution? How aboot a note that says "OI FOLKS! IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM AND WANT TO TALK TO STAFF, YOU CAN SEE WHO'S ONLINE ON 'VEIW FORUM LEADERS!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.