1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a religion and spirituality forum?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by jaska, Feb 4, 2015.

1. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    does anyone else think this would be a good idea?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not everyone is religious or spiritual. I think it would have to be expanded to something like "lifestyle/experiences/living".

3. IG88

Idk, religion and spirituality is usually mentioned when people post threads. It can come up in any thread really.

If we were to have a separate one, I feel like it would be purposed for discussion on religion. Which isn't bad, in fact I like discussing religion. But, it may be a bunch of threads on the same topic. I don't know if it would be helpful or not.

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

No, that kind of thing goes in the Chit Chat section.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I don't know. It might not be a bad idea if you think about it. I mean, I'm an atheist but religion's a huge part of a lot of people's lives and lot of people in the LGBT community are gonna struggle with balancing their faith and sexuality/gender identity.

If not a forum, how about some resource articles or something?

6. indiqo

for ease of access I strongly agree with having theological posts form into a collection under a theological forum. whilst as an agnostic it would not benefit me personally I have seen so many threads written by those who are struggling with their religious beliefs/sexual orientation/gender identity and the conflicts which arise. this is an additional circumstance people face and I do think it is very important that such people have a safe place to discuss this with others who feel similarly.

I have also noted that sometimes the forum can be a little unfriendly about issues pertaining to religious beliefs and whilst this is somewhat understandable given how religion impacts those with non-heterosexual orientations/non-binary identities, it may not be very helpful for those who religious beliefs are a major concern in their own process of self discovery. the fact people can be ostracised from their religious group and the lgbt* community is an enormous problem and one which EC could positively impact.

#6 indiqo, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  7. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. I feel really alone whenever I mention my Christianity because I am often surrounded by an atheistic mob. This last sentence describes my feelings to a T.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are many, many other places to discuss such things. Creating a new forum that is guaranteed to be a place of constantly contentious debate is not something I'd be in support of.

10. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with Chip. I think having a section like that would only cause problems, and as was mentioned earlier by IG88, that stuff usually pops up in threads and can pretty much pop up in any thread. The outcome for when discussions like that do pop up, is usually not good, and often leads to various debates that later turn into arguments that then turn into more problems. Although their are members of the LGBT+ community as well as members of EC that are religious, having a section like that would undoubtedly cause more harm than good.

11. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think it is a good idea, and belief of no God is atheism (still a religion); it would help a lot of people; maybe have subforums for common religions.

12. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To me, EC is all about human feelings, what we all experience, and religion or spirituality is not a common shared experience... By each and everyone on earth.

Our own personal idea of sexuality and gender, and how this affect us as well as the community... That is shared by each of everyone of us, I think. Also the goodwill to keep your own bias quiet when you are trying to help... Or at least to do your best.

It's about getting together, and not trying to save anyone (even if that has sometimes happened), mainly is about to help at a very basic level : From human to human, heart to heart.

A section for religion and spirituality could also attract unwanted attention. If some guys decided to make a thread about gay chrisjewsmushindukushus , and a bigot friend/parent from the chrisjewsmushindukushus decides to... Complain... That could bring more people to EC, but more people means more troubles.

Religion and such stuff tend to be mentioned everywere, on each and every of the threads, anyways, same as Sports or Politics! You even ask here if plants have feelings!

13. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We do need to provide a supportive environment for people who experience conflict between religion and sexuality, but I suspect a forum based around the wider issues of religion and spirituality would generate more heat than support and would require a lot of staff intervention to keep threads on topic.

14. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm torn on this one. I definitely think there are LGBT people who would benefit by a forum to discuss how their faith has impacted their lives and decisions, and get support and advice in deciding if and how they can integrate their faith and their orientation. But it seems as though most discussions involving religion on EC generally end up either with people being treated like faith is for dummies, or else with pot shots being taken at specific religions over and over by people with a bone to pick. It can range from insulting to just plain hurtful, and that's coming from someone who's mostly secure with his faith. Someone who's confused and desperate could feel downright unwelcome and attacked. It's bad enough being afraid that your religion will reject you for being gay--you shouldn't also have to worry about other gays rejecting you for being religious too.

I think there would be some value in such a forum if it was designated very specifically as SUPPORT, for and by people who actually ARE religious, as opposed to just a gathering place for disgruntled people to come and throw rocks AT specific religions. But there would definitely need to be a moderator keeping tabs on that, because those discussions can degenerate quickly. If I sound a little cranky, maybe I am. I do get tired of feeling bruised and battered here for choosing not to dump my faith just because I came out.

15. indiqo

I don't think it's about saving people necessarily, but making people feel more welcome. it must be so difficult for some people when they have nowhere to turn because from all sides they feel judged.

however thinking on it I see how impossible it would be to moderate. being an intensely difficult subject especially given its interaction with sexual orientation there would definitely be a lot of conflict. as someone said, people should be able to put aside their own beliefs and respect others but it is way too much to ask of people unfortunately >.<

would it be an idea to have some kind of sticky regarding the issue of religion, providing information on places people could go to help? if there isn't anything like this in existence..

16. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I would have joined much earlier if there was a religion subforum the whole time.