1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleting a thread?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Dragons, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Dragons

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I need My last post deleted.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

In general we do not delete threads or posts, particularly if other posters have posted comments. In this case, there were no responses so I went ahead and removed the post for you. Just keep in mind for the future that we don't generally do this.

3. MisterTinkles

So, what if you make a thread, and posters turn it into something it was not meant to be?

Will you delete it then? Or can you just "lock it" so no one posts on it anymore?

4. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That'll depend on the specifics of a thread.

If there's two or three people arguing amongst themselves, a thread ban for those people and a swift tidy up should typically be sufficient. In other cases, it really depends on a case by case basis. The preference is to lock threads, which helps preserve the valid contributions that people have made to a topic before it got hijacked. However, there are some cases when a topic really does become a lost cause and erupts beyond repair, and the only realistic way to put the issue to bed is to pull the topic from public view. That's usually because the content of the thread may risk bringing the community into disrepute if left on display, or because having it displayed just pushes the conflict to other areas of the site, such as the wall or private messaging systems. There have been occasions when inflammatory remarks have caused individuals to shuffle off to other parts of the site to vent their frustrations about topics, members etc, and the quickest way to defuse the situation entirely is to pull the content that is causing all the problems. It annoys some people, but not being able to nose at controversy isn't necessarily the most convincing justification for keeping a topic on public display, particularly when it just stirs more problems than it's worth across the site. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Saying that, it doesn't happen all that often. Even when a thread does tend to get distracted, the community tends to either be extremely diplomatic when voicing differing opinions, or they actively steer the topic back on track. I can't even remember the last time I had to remove a thread under the above circumstances, which is a testament to the maturity of the community as a wholeee.

5. MisterTinkles

Well, I would like "Science = Lies" to be deleted, locked, cleaned up or whatever you can do.

It was turned from a harmless question, into a finger pointing riot (hmm, lack of a better word).

Thanks