1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are rules about asking someone's age?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by SonicBoom, Mar 9, 2015.

1. SonicBoom

I post and reply a lot in the "sexual and romantic" subforum of EC.

I get really involved and try to help people out.

There have more than a few times I wanted to ask the thread starter what their age is so I can have an idea as to how I should tailor my advice.

I have ALWAYS declined to ask for fear of breaking the rules.

So, what are the rules on asking a thread starter their age?

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There aren't any rules against it. :slight_smile:

I think the only thing to take into consideration is that a member does have the simple option of displaying their age, if they wish to. If they choose not to, there's likely some sort of privacy concern that is justifying that decision, so it could potentially put them in an awkward position if people then started asking them about it. Saying that, I can also think of numerous incidences when it's important to ask to ensure you give the most appropriate and beneficial advice.

Just as long as people ask in a respectful and appropriate manner then it's not really the business of the staff team. The member either has the option to answer you, or they can respectfully decline to. The only way it would blip on our radar would be if somebody essentially harassed the member by repeatedly asking it over and over. I've never seen that happen though. :slight_smile:

The community does a great job at asking important questions without being abrasive about it, so there's not really a need for us to have a rule or specified 'policy' for this type of issue. Instead, we just allow common sense and etiquette to guide peeps. :slight_smile:

Martin.