1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronoun Section?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Hizaki, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Hizaki

I'm about 50% sure I saw this somewhere else already, but I have very unreliable memory...

Is it possible to add a section on the sidebar beneath "gender" that lets us tell others our pronouns? I'm thinking it would make conversation a lot easier so that I don't have to ask or search like mad.

I couldn't possibly be the first to suggest this, right?

Wait... did I suggest it before?? XD

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's an option, but you could always add it in your gender description.

3. Hizaki

I'd use it myself, but that wouldn't solve me not knowing other people's pronouns

#3 Hizaki, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  4. Hizaki

I should clarify that I'm suggesting the mods try to add it! :grin: Not asking if it's already possible.

5. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like the way you think! :thumbsup:

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not something we're currently considering. It's also not something the current or new software would support without some modification. That isn't to say we wouldn't consider it, just that it isn't on the current list of things we're working on.

7. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The admin has spoken! \('o')/

8. Hizaki

Fair enough, but that still makes me pretty sad, regardless.

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see the need. Aren't pronouns based on your self proclaimed gender? Put yor gender in the gender box and people will use pronouns based on that. It doesn't seem that hard to figure out, unless people put in some absurd non-existent gender, in which case you can just use they/them and it won't hurt anybody.

Male = he
    Female = she
    Anything else = they

10. Hizaki

What if one is a pentagendered person (whatever that truly entails, I don't know) who is opposed to being called neutral pronouns? Maybe a transgendered person wants to be called by their biological sex? I know that's not unheard of.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

There's the Gender box, the User Title area, and room possibly in one's Signature. There are places to put one's preferred pronoun(s), if it's that important. Otherwise, they could put it on their About Me section on their profile, stating this. There's even the option to create a Blog, with some basic information.

12. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

Just to add on to what Chip said, it isn't something we aren't ruling out altogether. It just isn't practical to consider right now for two reasons:

Firstly, the current software we are using is being phased out as we prepare our migration to a new platform. As a result, we aren't making adjustments to this platform unless it is for a crucial purpose, otherwise it just becomes a distraction from our migration goal, and becomes another +1 of things to implement as part of the migration. If we did get it implemented on here, it's highly unlikely it would automatically convert over to our new software, so we'd either need to invest resources in making that happen, or we'd end up resetting it during the move, thus becoming another source of inconvenience.

Secondly, the new software is very flexible and has a lot of potential when it comes to modifications, but it is requiring us to do a lot of that already in order to ensure EC, in its current state, migrates with minimal disturbance. It's not that we aren't considering any new requests for it, but that we're presently focused on nailing the important features that we're dependent on. So, for example, we're having to ensure that our security measures are successfully converted and function properly. Those are our current priorities with the migration process, whereas suggestions like 'gender pronoun' boxes are more luxuries that can improve an EC users experience, but doesn't necessarily make it inoperable without.

If there's support for the proposal then it is definitely something we can consider when we reach that stage of the migration process. it's just that, at this point in time, all our resources are being swallowed up by other things. Once that's out of the way, we can start considering and implementing these types of ideas. :slight_smile:

Martin.