1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GIFs as avatars

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Minnie, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Minnie

How do you do this? Whenever I choose one it's static. How can I get a moving one?

2. SonicBoom

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Crash course:

Your avatar needs to be under 200kb, if you intend to use a .GIF successfully. To be safe, try and keep it at 199kb instead of exactly at the limit.

You will need to shrink the avatar down, ahead of time, to decrease the size, if it is an animated one. 100x100 is best. Otherwise, it may not remain animated, due to the automatic dimensioning failing to account for size.

That is a pretty straight forward tool, which will allow you to upload/paste a .GIF, then resize it. You can even compress it down a bit, by selecting 'Optimize', which can shave off size, allowing your .GIF to be in the acceptable size range.

Keep in mind, unlike avatars, signatures have a much smaller size limit: 64kb. Using animated .GIFs, as a signature, is quite difficult, but possible if you're willing to cut some corners, and put in a little effort and time.

4. Yosia

What she said. :3