1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Site Advisors

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Austin, May 23, 2015.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why can't we add EC advisors to our ignore this?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because advisors are staff members. You will not be able to place any staff member on your ignore list. When a staff member communicates say for example an important message on the forum, you need to be able to see it. :slight_smile:

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the response! Is there a place I can look at the hierarchy of staff members (?) so I do not look stupid asking questions like the following: I usually see advisors more as "EC endorsed" individuals who offer advice, and don't have moderation powers. Do their responsibilities include posting important information that one would need to see? If not, I do not see why someone should be forced to see their posts if they find said person's posts irritating and would have a better experience on EC not seeing them. I know that they are technically staff and it might be built into the software to not allow a person to block staff.

(Note: I may even be wrong about the ignore list but I guessed it would block you from swing their posts.. Now that I think about it.. What about quotes.. Maybe I'm wrong!)

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Austin,

Advisors are part of the staff team, and in the hierarchy, they are equivalent to moderators and chat moderators. We have neither the technical capability nor the desire to allow members to block the posts of staff.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There isn't a staff hierarchy as such as Advisors are on par with moderators, for example. Advisors are an integral, and a very important part of staff, and who go through the same staff application process as a moderator would. In fact, Advisors are the first go-to person if a member would like to have one-on-one support. While every staff group has its own responsibilities, every staff group/member is contributing to the running of Empty Closets.

When you place a user on your 'ignore list,' you will not see that user's posts or wall messages but you will see the quotes if another user who isn't on your ignore list quotes what they have written.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay thanks! I do sometimes see posts about staff members "promoted" so I figured there may be some hierarchy. I always thought advisors they more EC-endorsed advisors rather than moderators. For example, a lot of people offer advice, but when you see that they are an EC-endorsed advisor, you might expect them to have some credentials or background in offering support. That is how I always interpreted the position. If that was the case, there would arguable be no reason not to be able to ignore them.

However, since they are staff with moderation powers I definitely see why it makes sense not to be able to add them to the ignore them. Either way, if it is technically not possible, there's no sense to in continuing to discuss it. Thanks for the information! :slight_smile:

7. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does this apply to PM's too? If so, if you PM someone who, unbeknownst to you, put you on their 'ignore list,' will you have any way of knowing they are going to see your message (and you shouldn't anticipate a response)?

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, BobObob, I feel like it would be safer for the people who do ignore members not to have others know they are being ignored. (Especially if they fear retaliation, or whatever.)

It's one of those things sort of like a job search. "Why didn't you call me back?" Every applicant wants to know, but every HR department knows that, for liability reasons, they must never answer the question....

9. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With HR, you know that they probably did go through your resume and consider you (because HR departments tend to be thorough), but for whatever reason aren't interested in you. It would be nice to know whether or not the message has been read, and since posting the above comment I discovered that that functionality is offered as an option when you send a PM.