1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A suggestion about a new rule?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by STK, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STK

STK Guest

I'd like to make a suggestion concerning grammar, punctuation, and spelling. I, as well as many other members, have a hard time reading posts that don't at least attempt to use proper punctuation, spelling, and grammar. Maybe as a guideline we sould encourage proper punctuation and grammar?

2. I think the best we could ask for is proper punctuation, capitalization, and spacing for longer posts. Spelling could be wished for, but some people just don't do well with spelling and there's nothing we could really do about it. And we couldn't get too picky, lest we alienate some of the non-native English speakers.

3. Dave

Maybe if it's possible we could introduce a spell checker into the editor?? In Firefox it's not really an issue, because it spell checks automatically, but if the function's there maybe people will use it

4. Evanfan

I personally have an issue with spelling sometimes.. i try to type fast.. and without noticing i misspell many words.. for example when i want to say "but" i write "btu" and i hate that.. but unless i type very carefully i can't help it.. well.. although i could read over the post and correct any mistakes

5. Mickey

The only problem I have is the posters who write like they're
    text messaging. I've tried to read their posts,but usually give up.
    It gives me a headache!

6. Amy

Amy

I only have problem when people write without any puncuation; like it's run on that keeps running.

I think it would be good to have guidelines, not rules. Guidelines would ask for basic things such as correct spacing and puncuation and to re-read posts before posting so that they do make sense.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Calling it "guidelines" is a great idea Amy. I don't have a problem when people accidentally spell something wrong. Heck, I do it all the time. The text speak though is very difficult to read.

8. Malchik89

Well i find it that most of the time people don't mean to use improper grammar, spacing, etc...It's just usually when people are posting a reply to a thread, they have something they want to say right away, so they just jot down whatever is on their mind, not really paying attention to the mechanics of what their writing. So they post it and don't even notice their mistakes until its too late to fix them. I think it would be cool if like everyone could edit their own post at any time, so that if someone can't read what they said and would like to know, that person can just edit and fix it.

9. Trystan

hmm yeah I agree. But some people do use their phones, and some phones have a limit on how much you can type in a box. My old phone stopped at 457 characters!

10. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something that has come up in the Staff Room. I can't remember off the top of my head about all the bits discussed, but the majority agreement seemed to be that if you can't read the post then don't respond to it. At the time I was hoping it would be part of the rules, but after the discussion I did agree with what they said. As a support forum with a large portion of young users we are always going to get those typing in that way, and trying to add it to the rules would create a lot of work for the staff and be pretty restricting for those who have a habit of typing in that way. I completely agree that it's really annoying, but if you start making it against the rules then you have to not only enforce it, but deal with anybody who doesn't stick to it. As a support forum that isn't really ideal if somebody wants support and we are telling them that they should either type in a way we desire or don't post at all. We just risk pushing people away so it's best to just ignore any posts you cannot read and let somebody else respond to it.

I like the idea about guidelines though. It's not quite as serious as the rules, but it does try and tackle the problem in a non-problematic way.

11. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I think it should be a guideline or 'advice', but not a rule. As Martin said, if you can't read it, just don't respond.

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Martin has summed up the result of the staff discussions about this very well.

Remember also that sometimes if someone is feeling depressed or upset they are likely to be typing as the thoughts flow and not thinking about grammar or punctuation at all. If we had a rule about this sort of thing then the time a member most needs help would be the time we would be jumping on them for breaking that rule, which is completely missing what EC is supposed to be about.

I like the idea of a guideline or suggestion, but in practice it probably won't change anything.

I would go along with the comment that if you find a post difficult to read then just ignore it and move on to the next thread.

13. Jerr

Grammar and punctuation are a bit much to ask. The only thing that would be better is less "text speak" or the "lolspeek."

Guidelines has been stated and that's nifty and all. The only other thing to do is suggest Firefox. (I love the spell check on it!) haha

That is all.

14. Derek the Wolf

OH MY GOD!!
    I just realized this.
    The title for this thread has a question mark, but it's not a question. It's a sentence fragment.
    I like your hypocrisy.
    :roflmao:

15. STK

STK Guest

Hey, I'm not THAT much of a grammar Nazi :roflmao:

16. otc877

otc877 Guest

srsly? but den peeple wud get mad at dat rool cuz den dey wudnt be able to tipe liek dey want to. i meen its not liek dis is english class AMIRITE?!?! nd also peeple rnt veri gud at makeing teh rite tpe of wurds to use in the sentense u no?

maybe we shud jus take thoes to stuped to rite liek us smart peeple to a 'speshal' forum were dey can type how dey want nd den we can type with the rite grammer here.

in short we shud make a new forum for the "not-so-grammer" frendly peeple and move them (AKA BAN THEM FROM NORMAL FORUMS! LOLOLOL!OL!1) to thoes forumz. u no?

discuss

17. Miles D

ya i meen sum ppl liek to typ wierd or stuf nd mybe they dont evn no how 2 type wich iz not dere folt so i think dat evree1 shud hav eekwal rites

NO. Fucking learn how to type!!!! I just think we should encourage correct grammar/spelling/punctuation. We can't force people to type/talk a different way, but we can encourage them, and suggest they use correct grammar/spelling/punctuation.

:grin:

18. Amy

Amy

Thank you, Miles.

All I would want is a request for members to try to type in English that is easily understood. oct877, it took me 5 minutes to understand your messsage, it was that hard to understand.

19. otc877

otc877 Guest

To Amy and Miles,
    It was a joke.

On topic,
    Do you honestly think that somebody who can't comprehend English grammar will take the time out to read posting guidelines?

Personally, I like it when people type like they're idiots. It makes it easier for me to decide if I'm going to read their post or not.

Good on paper, flawed in practice.

20. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's the problem. Look here at the number of people who have never read the Code of Conduct or only read it when they signed up and not since. We can put all we like in there but in practice people won't read it or remember it if they do.

We have a prominent box near the top of every page currently about not posting personal contact details etc. For a while the text in that was bold red so people couldn't fail to see it. But people still did what it asked them not to do.

On the full member upgrade application form there is clear bold red text saying not to apply until you have been here at least two weeks and have at least 50 posts. But we still get one or two applications each day from people with much less than that (often signed up that day and have just a couple of posts).

All proof that whatever we advise or require people to do, doesn't mean people will actually take any notice of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.