1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anonymous Thread Suggestion

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by || Kheya ||, Jul 10, 2015.

1. || Kheya ||

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it possible to add an 'EDIT' option to the anonymous thread? not sure if anyone else faced this kind of problem but sometime, after replying, I notice some mistakes in writing or maybe I would like to say something a bit differently, but the post is already there & it can't be edited. So, i think an edit option would be better than replying 2-3 times for the same post!

what do you guys think?

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible under our current system. The permissions for editing/deleting content, outside of staff usergroups, is dependant on whose user ID is attached to a particular post or thread. In other words, the option to edit only exists for posts that appear under your username.

The purpose of the Anon forum is to prevent that from happening, so anything you post is disassociated from you and instead reassigned under a different user ID altogether. Unfortunately, this means that by submitting content anonymously, you lose the 'publisher' permissions for it, due to the content being disassociated from you and reassigned to the Anonymous user ID. If people click on Anonymous, they can see that it's an actual user profile, just like any other account. As a result, only that account has the poster permissions for editing content etc. To alter this would require a different feature altogether, which would require the content to remain connected to your user ID, but masked in another way. I can't imagine it's impossible, but it's not an available option under the current Anon plugin.

We'll be using an alternative Anonymous feature over at our new software platform, so I can play around with that and see how that disassociates your identity from the post. It might be that it works in a different way, thus allowing you to retain publisher permissions over the content. However, I haven't looked into that as of yet, so I can't be sure.

Martin.

3. || Kheya ||

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

Thank you for taking time and explaining this to me. I understand the limitation of usability of posting anonymously at the moment. The idea of masking the user ID seems worthy though. Rather than posting as a single anon person, masking user identity would be useful. Then also you have to disable the possibility to track the poster's account.

I have seen another site that offers anonymous posting and editing without even registering to their site. That means editing is possible while being anonymous (also unable to track the poster).

I'm a proud and happy EC user and I just want to see EC running as a fully featured & improved site.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're following our security protocol properly, your identity is, in fact, masked. No one should be able to tell who you are in real life from your EC identity, as you should be using a unique username that you don't use anywhere else, and any pics you post should be visible only to other logged-in EC members.

As far as tracking anonymous posts, as it says in the anonymous section and in our CoC, we do, in fact, have the ability to track what user has posted any given message. Only the admins have access to the anonymous log, and it is only used in unusual circumstances (someone is in serious danger of self harm, for example) but it is there.

We've always avoided letting non-registered users post, as it creates security issues, is a field day for spammers, and in general, would make our already challenging jobs in keeping the community safe that much harder.

There will be some new features and functionality in the new platform when we finally switch to it!