1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now Open: ECCS' Volunteer Application

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Martin, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dear members,

Please see this announcement (here) for information regarding the launch of EC's new volunteer application process

We're seeking volunteers for 7 teams, each with specific roles within:

Please access the Announcement for introductory information regarding this new process.

The application form, for potential applicants, is available here: Volunteer

If you have any enquiries regarding this process, please either post in this thread, or create a thread in the Ask The Staff forum.

Thank you.

Martin.

2. Gen

Gen

Good luck to the applicants!

The Admins have spent quite a while perfecting the application process and these new forms so set some time aside to answer them thoroughly.

If you want to join the team, but you are not sure what you have to offer send in an application! I hardly knew anything about the Advisor position before I applied; it wasn't even the position that I checked on my application. The staff will dedicate the time to ensure that the position that you are considering will be a perfect fit. We will also recommend alternative positions if there is any uncertainty on either side. Not to mention, there are quite a few new additions, so if you aren't certain what to apply for, then apply for the position that you are giving the most thought to and make your flexibility to accept another role known within the application.

Younger Members: There are no age or education requirements to apply. While there are some positions where education and expertise is expected, there are plenty of positions that largely require maturity, dedication, and consistency. You are perfectly capable of displaying those characteristics. The largest number of new staff will likely come from those roles, so don't feel intimidated or inadequate.

Older Members: The biggest concern that I have heard from older members is whether they will be able to dedicate the time. Virtually all members of staff are full-time students or average working citizens. These are not positions where we expect you to clock in for several hours of day. Staff can also take hiatuses in cases where they have greater personal responsibilities to tend to. If you already post regularly, then you most likely have the time. We are taking on more people to ensure that the work that we do remains pleasant and doesn't feel laborious.

Overall, it will be exciting to see who gives these applications a try and takes these spots! :slight_smile:

3. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can regular members volunteer? Or this is just strictly for full members only?

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At the present time, volunteers are drawn from the pool of full members. It is possible that, for certain roles, we might consider regular members, but this is honestly not something we've yet considered.

You could, of course, always apply for full membership :slight_smile:

5. Foz

Foz Guest

Hmmm, you've piqued my interest. I'm pretty shit hot at marketing (it used to be my job :grin:), but I'm having a hard time seeing how it would be carried out purely over the internet and I have a feeling it will be more US based?

I can see a Facebook and Twitter presence working (I'm involved with youth work in my area) but how would the likes of Youtube work seen as we are an online community? I do a fair bit of graphic designing (mostly posters and the odd logo) would that be combined with a different role as I can't imagine it being particularly busy?

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Each of the different roles have different responsibilities and time commitments. As for marketing and outreach, that's a new area for us so it's an evolving one. If these are areas you're interested in, and you become part of our team, you'd likely have a lot of input as to how the outreach and marketing and online presence plays out.

Obviously one of the challenges we have is managing online presence and social media and maintaining EC's anonymity and security policies. THis is something we're still working through.

7. Foz

Foz Guest

I missed something out of my application, who's the best to PM this about.

Also I put it off until this afternoon as I saw the progress bar was only at 10% so I thought it was going to be 10 pages of questions, it was only 3!

8. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Feel free to PM it to moi.

I've noticed that the progress bar is rather deceptive and useless for the form. I was hoping it would calculate it based on the variables a respondent selected, but it seems to just calculate it using all the pages. It's quite unusual as you end up going from about 20-30% completion to 100% within the click of a button. :dry:

I'll have a check and see if I can remove it.

9. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This should be gone now. :slight_smile:

10. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to help out, but I'm not comfortable with sharing photo ID. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Oh well, it's great that you're doing background checks, and I hope you find some awesome volunteers! :slight_smile:

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you!

If it makes any difference, we treat the identification process as highly confidential, and there is only one staff member that maintains and has access to those records. The documents are not stored anywhere online where they could be subject to a breach.

Nonetheless, I understand the fear that many people have with sharing their identity, particularly if they are not out. If things change for you, please let us know.

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any idea how long the process will take?

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given that we have just opened the application process, I think it is safe to say that it will take a couple to a few weeks before any decisions are made due to the nature of the process. Plus, we do like to get a number of applications for the various teams before starting to make any decisions. :slight_smile:

14. Eric

A lot of the positions strike me as being a means to get professional services pro bono, which is a bit irksome. It's one thing to ask people to moderate the forums and provide advice to people in a more formal capacity, or even work to promote the community outside of EC, but it's another to ask people to provide professional services that they would, under ordinary circumstances, be well compensated for.

It also seems like a bloated amd complex structure befitting a much larger organization, but I digress.

Best of luck to all the candidates.

15. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's exactly what it is.

Nonprofit public charities rely on the generosity, kindness, support and in-kind donations of goods and services to do what they do because they have no business from which to generate profits.

We could not have completed the transition from "just a web forum" to an IRS-recognized public charity without the generious pro-bono assistance of the large law firm that donated thousands of dollars worth of time from multiple staff members to help.

And we could not run on a daily basis without the donation of some 1000 hours a month from the volunteers that do everything that keeps the forum running.

Nor could we handle the increasing demand on our servers without the generous monthly donation from Vibe Media who has dedicated two servers and all the necessary bandwidth and support to keep the site running.

Our new forum software that will soon be rolling out was given to us, pro bono, along with unlimited support, by the software manufacturer

And dozens of people have donated money to help with the expenses and services that we can't get donated.

Volunteerism, donations, and generosity from individuals and professionals and businesses are the lifeblood of any nonprofit organization. We're incredibly grateful to those who have donated time, money, and services, and are equally appreciative of anyone who has a willingness to share of their time or expertise.

The new volunteer application is intended to support our continuing growth. Yes, it's a little more complex at the moment than it needs to be, but it is something we'll grow into, and our thought was it's better to put the time into doing something right in the first place than having to continually band-aid the process.

16. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is exactly how non-profits typically operate. Generally, the only paid positions are when they are so large that they NEED some full time staff, and then, only that full time staff is paid, and the pay is not the same as a similar for-profit. For several years, I've volunteered with a few non-profits, and currently manage the IT side of a couple sites for a local amateur radio club. By the club's bylaws, (and, as an extension of some federal laws) I can't be paid for that work. I can be (and usually am) reimbursed for materials, but, my labor is free.

17. Foz

Foz Guest

It may be like that, but what's wrong with it? I've done and do a lot of volunteering work, my skills are invaluable to those organisations and they could never afford to pay for. I enjoy doing it and I love seeing the difference I make and that's all I need to know it's worth my time.

If I wanted to I could make £2000 a weekend as a powerboat instructor with my own school, but I chose instead to spend that time with Sea Scouts - training them and making money for the group by tutoring other people who hired out boats.

18. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eric, a lot of professionals volunteer their time, skills to make a difference in their community or simply to learn about the challenges that different members of society face. Others decide to volunteer their time, because it helps them to learn new skills and knowledge too. Helping a particular community or members of society, and in order to do it effectively, one at times needs to engage in continues learning, professional development. That in itself, is one of the top-ten Soft Skills (at least here in Canada) an employer will be looking for. Volunteering is a perfect way to show one engages in continues learning and in continuing to expand ones skills set.

For example, a lot of career professionals (Engineers, Accountants, Medical Doctors, HR Professionals, Nurses, Public Servants, etc) volunteer their time to be a career mentor and help job seekers to learn more about a particular career field. Being a career Mentor for how ever long the commitment is, is in the vast majority of cases pro-bono. You might ask yourself why would someone volunteer their time? Why would someone spend three to six months with a job seeker, meeting them every week. The reasons for professionals deciding to volunteer are multiple, among which are:

• Learning about others, and being able to make a difference
    • Giving back to the community
    • Expanding their leadership and communication skills
    • Trying to make workplaces more inclusive
    • Engaging in professional development

... just to name a few. Other professionals volunteer their time to be on Boards of Directors of nonprofits or other community organisations for similar reasons listed above. And the work they do, is important for the very organisations they help.

Additionally, a lot of workplaces encourage employees to volunteer and do pro-bono work because it also helps to create a better workforce overall.

In fact, you yourself might find yourself in a position one day, where your employer might come to you and ask you to do some pro-bono work in the community. For some companies and/or organisations, community volunteering is an integral part of their outreach/community development efforts.

19. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The majority of those who "work" at my LGBT center do so on a volunteer basis. They even will have those assigned volunteer work as dictated by the courts clean the buildings, provided they are not violent offenders. My counselor there was a student and on an unpaid internship. The county health department donates their time to have people there twice a month for full STD training and there are people there from other AIDS organizations. I think it is great for this site to have professionals available. Having nurses, doctors, and mental health professionals here is so valuable.

20. Anastaisa_Lynn_14

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i have applied for the chat room moderator and the form moderator, do you have any idea if that requires any id, because if so i dont know if i can provide that, i have a school id but is that enough? also the application asked for my ocupation so i put in high school student, does that count or do i have to resubmit the fourm?