1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by george678, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. george678

An upgrade is needed vb 8 is out now.

2. Nick

VB 8? As in the forum software? The latest version of that is 3.7.4 (as opposed to 3.7.1 that EC is currently on)

3. george678

Vbulletin 3.8 beta is out.

4. Janvier

What does it add?

5. george678

Security patches.

6. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is nothing major that would warrant the fuss it causes, especially at christmas time. The site has so many customisations to it that just dumping a new version on top of what we have would mean nothing would work. As far as I know this latest version does not bring any major security patches, and it's still in beta stage anyway, so it's not really a priority right now. It may be updated in the future, but at the moment the site is very safe and does not need updating. In the future it may but it will take a lot of planning because of the plugins that are set up and Paul probably has more important things to be doing at this time of the year anyway.

7. george678

Ok Notice it is posted in a suggestions area.
    Thanks
    G.

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knowww, I wasn't having a go or anything. Just thought you'd appreciate an explanation why rather than just us going "no". :grin:

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for the explanation Martin!

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We have a load of modifications (add-ons and our own customised code) here which means that we can't just install the vBulletin updates and expect everything to work. So I choose a point when vBulletin seems relatively stable (or after they've fixed some nasty security holes) and update the site to that. It takes some planning and testing on my test server to make sure nothing breaks and the update can be done with minimal downtime.

As noted we are currently 3 minor releases behind the current production version (3.7.1 vs 3.7.4), which is not a big deal. There are no significant security issues or other bugs fixed in those releases that we need to worry about.

We won't be using beta software here. Indeed vBulletin themselves don't recommend beta versions for live sites. If there's anything useful in the 3.8 series once it's properly released I'll investigate what's needed to make it work here. Normally these more major version updates break loads of add-ons so we'd have to wait until the add-ons we use are updated (typically a couple of months) before even considering it.

If there's nothing we need in 3.8 we'll stick with 3.7 for a while, which will still be supported by vBulletin for security updates for at least a year or so.

The aim of all this is to maintain a site that works and is stable and secure, rather than having the newest version number at the bottom of the page.

Yes, enjoying myself and having a break! And a few :beer:

11. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

vBulletin 8 isn't stable....no live site should use it.

There are probably major security holes in it, and many bugs.

12. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup. I always wait until there's been an update on a new major release.

For the sake of the forum, stick with the current version. IT WORKS lol. Upgrade when v8 is deemed stable.

13. george678

There are flaws in vb 3.7.1 too!
    Hence the reason for the thread.

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

There are probably flaws in just about every version. The point is whether they are an issue for us or not, and whether the work in upgrading (as I detailed in post #10) is justified or not. This is a decision the site administrators take. And yes I do receive the update announcement emails from vBulletin so I do know about new versions and what is fixed etc.

Anyway to avoid further procrastination about minor version number differences I have removed the version number from the bottom of the forum now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.