1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EC Slowdown?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Foz, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Foz

Foz Guest

The pages are loading as normal, however it's taking me at least 15 seconds to post something. I've wiped my cookies and reset my router but it's still just the same, I've tried it on my PC and the issue is there also?

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2015 at 11:44 AM ----------

My connection is fine also

[​IMG]

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It happens sometimes.

I haven't been around as often as I once was, so there hasn't been an opportunity to check this, but between 5-5:15 PM CST the site would be very slow, especially when trying to submit a post. It has happened in the early morning, too, around 2 or 3 AM CST. Again, I haven't been able to check that in a few weeks, but it was dependably frequent for months.

If I had to take a guess, one of these are the culprit:

The site's host is having issues, of some kind.
    The EC Staff is working behind the scenes.
    The site is bombarded with visitors/members and their views/posts.
    The Internet is slacking off.
    Martin and Chip spilled grape soda on the primary router.

Take your pick.

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Foz, Kaiser is right. There is a time, around 11 - 11.30 GMT (BST) you'll find the website acts a little slow. This is because of *mumbles something about archiving*. I can't actually remember why- all I know is that I've been caught out many a time! Give it 10 minutes and everything will be back to normal.

I hear that Chip is always spilling grape soda though. It's a big problem.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the record, it's 100% artisanal organic Concord grape juice, not grape soda :grin:

But onto the actual issue, those are about the times when the auto-backup script runs that backs up the database. Since there are two and a half million messages and a hundred thousand member profiles... It takes about 20 minutes for the backup to run. During that time, the database server slows to a crawl.

As the site continues to grow, that is something we are going to be looking at solving, but there's no simple, off-the-shelf solution we have yet been able to find that doesn't degrade the database performance during backup. We are still looking. :slight_smile: