1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feature Request: Notification when someone quotes you

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by CodeForLife, Aug 12, 2015.

1. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's sometimes hard to keep track of what threads you've posted on. If someone quotes your previous post asking you a question and then 50 people post after that, you may never get back to them. I also just generally want to know when something I've posted is mentioned.

I'm not sure how feasible this is with the vBulletin® technology, but there are two types of notifications that I think would be really useful to EC and are used on other sites:

1. When someone quotes one of your messages, this shows as a notification at the top right next to your account
    2. When someone tags your name, e.g. @CodeForLife, this shows as a notification at the top right next to your account

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually really like the quote idea. Because sometimes somebody quotes you asking a question or to clarify and you never go back to that thread :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a feature that has been requested quite a bit over the years, and is something that is near the top of our wishlist for getting implemented. Unfortunately, the reason we haven't been able to invest in it thus far is because the features available haven't been sufficiently integrated into vBulletins permission settings.

Basically, when a member submits a post report, it is submitted under their user ID, and quotes the post being reported. If we installed a notification hack, the user being reported would get it, telling them you had 'quoted' them as part of an automated report. As that would be an obvious privacy flaw, we've always steered clear of it. :slight_smile:

It's certainly something we're keen to get. We'll be looking to see what is available on IPB, and if nothing is then we can always consider seeing what options are available for a custom-hack to be designed for us.

Martin.

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh my...that would be a nightmare and a half. LOL.

5. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @Martin,

You mean to tell me there's no way to hook into certain actions that occur with vBulletin®? :eek: For example, "onPost event, run X".

If there is no way to do something like that and it requires a custom hack instead of a custom module, then that's a pretty limited technology from a developer standpoint. Logically, you should be able to implement/extend a behavior and add a new notification type. :eusa_doh: