1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about signature functionality

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by CodeForLife, Aug 23, 2015.

1. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I recently added a signature picture to my account. This is now showing up in my new posts, which is good. However, it does not appear to be updating my existing posts retroactively.

Is this expected behavior? If so, that is interesting as I guess it suggests that your signature is actually stored in your post versus being dynamically looked up.

Example post before signature: Re: Showers

Server space could probably be saved by not storing the profile data in the post, but instead looking it up and display it dynamically (as I assume the user info is already in memory). I can't see this being a performance issue if coded properly.

The only potential down side would be if someone commented about your signature in the past and now that post is now longer valid since your signature has since changed as your signature is dynamically looked up rather than persisted on your post itself.

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, CodeForLife, :smilewave
    That is expected behavior from the forum platform we're using, and yes you're correct, it is an option to show your signature with each post, so the option is stored individually for each post.

This storage may be inefficient, but we are currently in the process of transitioning to a new forum software, so we're not taking the time to address minor tweaks to the current system; we're focusing more on the new system.

Thanks for noticing and pointing this out. It's always appreciated. :slight_smile:

3. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for confirming this TJ! (*hug*)