1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A suggestion regarding how members could post their own videos with the current techn

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by BobObob, Nov 3, 2015.

1. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure there are quite a few EC members, such as Lucky28 who would like to post videos for other EC members to see. Obviously, not being able to host such a video directly on EC makes it difficult for members to share videos of themselves with other EC members without violating the rules of the site.

One possible solution may be to have members submit videos to staff members (perhaps this can be done through email attachments to an email address created for that purpose), and for the staff to upload the video onto a staff-controlled Youtube channel. Obviously this isn't without some drawbacks, since it would require more time on the part of the staff, and the EC member would have to wait for the video to be on Youtube, but what do you think about the idea?

#1 BobObob, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. Yosia

Re: A suggestion regarding how members could post their own videos with the current t

Due to the nature of the rules, and as you explained it being hard to keep ontop of for the staff, it would probably be near impossible. There are ways which it could be done though, such as anonymous video sharing sites and all that, but it's still very close to the line on privacy rules etc.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: A suggestion regarding how members could post their own videos with the current t

We explored the idea some time back. The issue is, indeed, staff time. Given that we currently have a 4 week backlog on full-member applications... which currently is one of the biggest bottleneckss due to the staff time required. Every video would have to be reviewed completely by a staff member beore being made available. And we're pretty confident that if we did offer this ability. the demand would probably be pretty strong. So the necessary time to review every video a member uploaded would pretty quickly grow out of control.

So even if there were a completely anonymous video sharing site we could make use of, or if we uploaded all videos to a staff-controlled video channel, that would still not solve the problem of the necessary staff review and the time necessary for that.

It is something that, in principle, has been discussed more than once, and the idea isn't dead, it just isn't on the front burner at the moment.

4. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I figured time was probably the primary issue.

Unless there's something I'm missing, I think that there would be just as much of a need for staff to review every video even if they were hosted directly on EC (as you've suggested on that other thread is a functionality that EC would like to add) as there would be if it were hosted on a staff controlled youtube channel. So if a dedicated EC member uploaded a 30-minute video diary everyday, I would think that that would still take a half hour of someone's time to review it if it were hosted locally on EC (perhaps you could put time limits if it's hosted directly on EC). The youtube approach would take more time in other ways (staff having to constantly download/upload video files), but it seems to me that much of the time issues would still exist either way.

#4 BobObob, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015