1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More options

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by DemiLiHue, Nov 22, 2015.

1. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Please, I have registered earlier and I noticed the small amount of sexualities you can use. I mean, I know there is a place where you can write your own, but it still makes me feel uncomfortable because it feels like my sexuality doesn't exist. :icon_sad:
    And I'm not talking about the ones that most people don't know they exist... Where is Pansexual? Or Aromantic? Homoflexible and Heteroflexible? Polysexual? Androsexual? Gynesexual? I mean, I know these definitions aren't very popular, but THIS IS A PLACE FOR LGBTQ+ PEOPLE I MEAN PLEASE! :bang:

So I will ask if you could include this definitions.

Oh and also, make a board for young people. (And allow young people to register cause my bro can't register and he is LGBTQ...)

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, yeah, it's sort of weird that not even pansexual is on there. It's extremely common. I feel like nowadays I know more people who identify as pansexual and less people who identify as bisexual. I'm guessing the reason more orientations aren't included is because the list was created a long time ago when those orientations were less commonly used.

I think I've heard before that people below 13 years of age can register if they have parent permission or something... I think.

#2 YuriBunny, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the orientation labels are part of the registration process, the perspective that is used to assess changes are slightly different. We're a community that primarily aims to serve people at the initial stages of their identity development, thus requiring us to structure our registration process accordingly. As somebody who has worked in the LGBT+ support community for 8 years, with 3 of them being done professionally, even I am still running in to labels that I do not know the meaning of. If I added a label each time somebody suggested it be added, our registration page would be a very convoluted process which could overwhelm those who are only just beginning their own identity journey. Therefore, it's why I work on the premise that less is more, as we use pre-determined identities which we know are widely used within everyday, mainstream language, whilst allowing people the option to specify something outside that list. There's no hierarchy to it, and keeping it short and sweet helps ensure that those who can't even grasp whether they have same-sex attractions aren't completely confused by a whole range of synonyms which aspire to embrace varying degrees of romantic attraction. That, however, isn't to say that the list is frozen and will never be changed ever again, but I am very careful about being dragged into discussions which encourage a wide-range of identities to be included in the list. At the end of the day, there's a whole range of labels that people use, and each of those individuals wouldn't be against seeing it added to the pre-determined list on the registration page. However, by and large, our target audience won't be at the stage where they're even confidently applying any label to themselves, never mind specific labels which fall outside the mainstream scope of everyday society. My primary focus is less about having an all-encompassing list of labels, and more about ensuring that the registration process is as straightforward as it can be for our primary target audience. The balance between pre-determined and inputting your own, in my mind, has done a good job of helping to cater for all people, at differing stages of identity development. If others disagree, I'm certainly interested in hearing views on it, as I'm not married to a particular viewpoint. My main priority is ensuring we keep the registration process as straightforward as it can be, and I'm confident that that principle wouldn't be lost if the views of others were taken into account, so I'm all ears.

The proposal for a young people's board isn't really something I can offer much feedback on, as these are based more on membership demand. If there's a necessity for the community to structure itself based on age-criterion, it is something that we'll of course consider. After all, the Later in Life section was introduced following consultation related to this specific necessity, and it has been a tremendous success. So... that's something for the membership base to evidence a need for. My initial impression would be that EC, by and large, is one big young people's forum. However, that might depend on what it is specifically that you define as young, as my own definition would include those in early adulthood, whereas you might be thinking more 13-16? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Regarding people below 13, YuriCore is correct. Those below the age of 13 can join with parent permission, but that's an obvious barrier because of the nature of the support that we provide. Unfortunately, it's not a restriction that we happily enforce, but is instead a statutory requirement under the Child Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998. Basically, an organisation cannot obtain information of somebody under the age of 13, without first obtaining parental permission. I don't like the law, but I'm also not a US national so it's not really my place to start criticising international statutes. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hmm... I must say I am really torn on this. On the one hand, this is indeed an LGBT+ site, and thus should be as including as possible. I mean, even Facebook is way ahead of EC in this regard. On the other hand, well, Martin makes a good point in general about keeping it clean and all.

My synthesis would be that I personally would like to see the more popular 'exotic'/newer labels be included; genderfluid, agender, pansexual, and those that are pretty well known, although I don't think adding each and every one is necessary. I also think it's important to note, when talking about how relevant these labels are in everyday society, that these newer labels are likely known mostly among the younger generation - but that there's a lot of members from that younger generation on here.

#4 Invidia, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    On your profile, section Edit your details, you are allowed to put whatever you want on gender and orientation, which imo is the same as having your pretty little boxes, all you need to do is just to type whatever you want there.
    Allowing people under 13 to join without parental consent would break some law that Martin mentioned.

I don't think there is a law that prevents anyone from reading the forums. Afaik, the law is about membership on the forum, so they are still free to read whatever information they want here, there and everywhere... LGBT is on tv anyways, on prime time nowadays.

#5 Michael, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2015
  6. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never meant to put all orientations. I'm just saying that it would be really nice to add some other orientations that are becoming more and more popular.