1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EC update

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by C06122014, Dec 3, 2015.

1. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

I don't know if this is the place to ask, but if I remember correctly it was around this time that we were told of an ec software update? So please do tell, how's that going-is it going?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! We are still working on the update, but we are hoping to have completed the move to the new platform in the next couple of months. :slight_smile:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The new platform has been chosen, and we've been doing some testing on it. The current platform is highly customized to EC's needs (the security features and other factors) and so the biggest challenge is replicating all of the customized features we have in place on the existing platform. Some of it is built-in to the new platform, a few things are having to be customized.

Once that's in and working, the next step is for the staff to familiarize ourselves with the ins and outs of the new software. The admins are doing that now and we'll soon be expanding that process to staff. Then we'll be testing it a bit more widely, and then we'll make the conversion.

And then there's the whole piece of establishing an all-new content side of the community. That's going to be an ongoing project, and probably will be rolling out slowly in stages, separately from the new discussion board.

As with everything, it's taken longer than we expected, in part because EC's entire staff are volunteers so we're all doing this in the time we have outside of work, school, or other obligations. But we are making significant progress. I know we've been saying "a couple of months" for quite a while now but it is a lot closer than it was last year at this time.

4. Ditz

Just curious, will the new platform be able to support an app for iOS & Android?

5. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

I know there won't be an app for reasons mentioned in the past-primarily privacy concerns for people who aren't out and those who would like to keep Ec a secret. Which really does make sense

---------- Post added 4th Dec 2015 at 03:39 PM ----------

Thanks for responding I look forward to it! Even if it is still a ways away :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We won't have an independent EC app, but the new platform is designed from the ground up to support mobile devices from the browser. It will automatically detect the device and send the correct version of the site depending on whether you're on a phone, a tablet, or a desktop.

7. Ditz

That is going to make things so much easier!

On the topic of EC, I wanted to thank all the administrators and volunteers who make this forum possible. It's easy to take things for granted without realising the hard work and dedication that goes into creating this safe platform that has had and continues to have a positive and healing impact on so many lives. So a BIG thank you to all of you!